1st Part of August - Smallie Hunting

Whats the smallie fishing like up there in the Glacial lakes area in the first part of August?

I've got the clear to plan a trip during the first part of August to anywhere in the US. I want to pull my boat wherever I go and I also figure everywhere South will really be getting tough due to the heat. I am completely ignorant to smallmouth fishing, but have come to appreciate the bronze ones in the last couple years.

I was thinking a trip would be 3-4 days and I would hire a guide for first day or half day then go on my own the rest of the trip. Anyone have any suggestions of where to start up there or any guides that might be able to help? Thanks!

2. Member
    In my last 15 yrs fishing the Glacial Lakes region, I've found the best time for smallies in the fall/late summer is the week before the Atumnal Equinox which would be Sept. 16th, 2019. Never failed me yet. If you need a guide ( which you probably won't ) ' Joe Guides You " in Eden, SD has excellent knowledge of the area. My favorite lake is Roy. Map the lake carefully as there many rock piles and if the water level is low it can be dangerous if you're not mindful. Good Luck!
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

I concur that mid September would be a better timeframe
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Let me rephrase the situation. I have a ~week off in August. Hows the fishing up on the glacial lakes during that time? Sounds like September is best. Should I even bother in August or should I try to plan my trip elsewhere.

I'm sure you will get into them in the glacial lakes area, may have to bounce lake to lake for a couple days, but then pow, you will find what your looking for , if all else fails, 60 miles west should bring you to some good largemouth fishing
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089