Thread: Specialty Rods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specialty Rods?

I'm just curious on how many single purpose rods that you use. Do you have a spinner bait rod, a bladed jig rod, a swimbait rod, a jerk bait rod, etc., etc? Or do you have several primarily multi purpose rods? What got me thinking about this was when somebody inquired about a hair jig rod for smallmouth. To me that is a true single purpose rod. I have a wall full of rods in the garage, but with a couple exceptions, the majority are used for multiple applications. What say you?

most of mine are a technique specific... with a handful of multipurpose in the mix
    Z521 Ranger - 250 Pro XS
    374V Ranger - 175 Merc Black Max

3. Member
    The majority of mine are designated for technique specific.

Edit: I should have typed that I use my rods for technique specific. Only a few them are labeled as such from the manufacture.
    Last edited by Locknload59; 05-24-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    The only rod that I really have that is totally technique specific is my frog rod.....most of my other stuff is for mostly one thing...jerkbait, jig etc but I will occasionally throw other things on them...

I have a few that were purchased as primary technique specific rods but almost all of them have another technique that they could do well if need be.

all of mine are technique specific

2009 ELITE 210

7. Member
    I have both, a few technique specific (drop shot, skipping, c-rig) and a number of multipurpose that I tend to use as specialized anyway. Keep a jerkbait tied on one, topwater on another, etc...

No, I match the rod, reel, line to the lure I'm throwing. My favorite cranking rod is a Skeet Reese "Jig" rod. Slapping a label on them is just a marketing gig to sell more rods. 99% of most baitcasting fishing can be done with a Medium/Heavy action 6'6-7 foot rod. These have the most versatility IMO. "Back in the day" of 3 rods and 10 pounds of tackle you had to have the options to do more with less. Rods and Reels have come a LONG way in just the past 25 years and the trend for set up specific rods isn't a bad thing.

9. Member
    Drop Shot, Flipping, Carolina Rig, and Froggin Rod are specific. Two different action Cranking Rods but probably a dozen multi-purpose Rods are in boat. Got a friend that only has 3 rigs that he uses for all baits. Sometimes he will wear me out with them too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
    most of mine are a technique specific... with a handful of multipurpose in the mix
    This

11. Member
    Every single rod I own with only a couple exceptions, are labeled for a specific technique. There isn't a single rod that I DON'T throw multiple techniques.
    Even the most technique specific like a dropshot rod or frog rod I throw 3 or 4 different techniques on.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

All of my rods are labeled from the manufacturer, but I use most in a different application and it is rather technique specific but for me to take a rod from c-rig to football jig/ or squarebill to wake bait/ or 8' crank to 14' or squarebill those changes in my opinion are small enough the real concern to me come from gear ratio and line type or size...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

My spinnerbait rod is supposed to be a crankbait rod, and I use my only flipping stick for Carolina rig and frogs. I have another crankbait rod, and am trying to find a use for it. All the rest of my rods were not labeled by the manufacturers for any particular technique, but I have found most of them to be wonderful for one specific technique. And then, there ae a few that aren't worth a dang for anything.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m not sure any of my rods say what they’re “supposed” to be used for, but I have each rod I own down to what it does best. That’s where line comes in; while my spinnerbait rod can do a lot of things, I’m not going to use it for certain techniques since it has 40lb braid on it. My flipping stick/frog rod is pretty specialized but I’m sure I can find something else it does well.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locknload59 View Post
    The majority of mine are designated for technique specific.

Edit: I should have typed that I use my rods for technique specific. Only a few them are labeled as such from the manufacture.
    This ^^^^

Most all of mine are

17. Member
    Most of mine are designated for specific techniques though most can be used for multiple techniques

18. Banned
    About the only rods I have that are technique specific are crankbait rods... Everything else can be used for a couple of different tactics... Dan

19. Banned
    How in the world did we throw all those same baits years ago before they started amking "technique specific" rods? Think of all the fish we could have caught back then if we knew a medium action was meant for only throwing a 1/4 oz trap and nothing else.

Most of my rods are technique specific. Lot of them never have a different bait tied on. I do use the same rod for topwaters and sometimes spinnerbaits or chatterbaits. I have a dedicated chatterbait rod, but I have two tied on right now that are different colors. I really need to take some rods out of the boat, think I have like 20 in there right now.

That is not to say that the rods I have can't be used for multiple things, I just use different line sizes and types. For instance I like mono for crankbaits and a few other things. Like fc for most things, but I also have braid on some rods. And I'm such a junk fisherman that it is easier to just have extra rods.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast