Ranger Aluminum Dock Ding

Had a little accident and banged a dock corner with the leading edge of the bow on my Ranger 198P. Why there isn't a rub rail there I will never know, but what's done is done. This in theory should be a low stress area of the boat and the ding dig NOT puncture the hull. Would anyone have any concerns about this cracking? I can deal with the blemish (best friend is an body shop guy and with a little body putty make it look 90%), but I'm concerned it would flex and crack. My dealer said to not worry about it as there isn't a good way to fix it anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get your buddy to fix it and don't worry about it. Since he is a body shop guy, it will probably never be noticed. If it was at or below the water line, I would be more concerned. I know it hurts, it is not that big of a deal. Admittedly, that's a bad ding, but aluminum fishing boats get dings and scratches and little dents here and there if they are used a lot.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

3. Member
    Panama I really appreciate your take on it. You're right....sh*t happens. I'll make it look better cosmetically and will forget about it.

4. Member
    If you're concerned about the structural aspect of it, get it welded up, smoothed and finished versus just filling it in with filler.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Want be the last one! Especially if tournament fish, boats stack on top each other.
    Others trolling motors and some who have motor trimmed up with dang props out of water hit everyone’s boat.
    I gave up on docks and beach Rt198p rather bottom beat than sides and top.

6. Member
    man, i did the same thing.. at the two week ownership phase.. storm was blowing up and we were headed under a bridge to wait the rain out and a huge gust of wind pushed to back around and shoved the front into a bridge column. Small dent, but it hurt. I thought about adding a strip of tough rubber, or even buying a Keel Guard and adding to those areas for future Uh-Ohs. On an optimistic note, I dont even notice it anymore.
    2019 Ranger Rt188 red
    2019 Mercury 115 ProXS 4s CT

7. Member
    Ever ding I have put on my boats have always been at a dock.
    They are a necessary evil, unless you have a keel guard,
    or always have a partner, so you dont have to tie up. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

Thats just character...

I have one in close to the same place. From a dock. My boat has some many dents and dings. I try to keep it from happening but it still happens.

10. Member
    It happens. I would weld it and grind it down though, no way I would use filler on it
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

11. Banned
    With the amount of battle scars I have on my Lund, I should just recycle the damn thing. I fear if I wash it, it would reveal even more.

12. Member
    That's why most people buy tin boats. You can use them and not worry about scratching up the sides or putting holes in the glass and that won't be the last time you put a dent in it if you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    With the amount of battle scars I have on my Lund, I should just recycle the damn thing. I fear if I wash it, it would reveal even more.
    True statement.
    On my old Sylvan aluminum boat, I did a "roll and tip" hand paint job using grey Rustoleum topside enamel. That finish technique leveled out really well. Stuff is readily available, inexpensive, easy to apply, and pretty durable. Did quite a few touch-ups, and most were unnoticeable from 2 feet away. I miss that old boat.