PP Sandwich bracket install video

Anyone aware of a video demonstrating the install of a powerpole sandwich bracket? Thinking about trying to do this myself and have read a few posts about people that have done it themselves but would like to see it.

If it matters I will be putting them on a 96 Ranger R70 with a 125 Mercury motor.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    very easy if you have a Automotive engine crane or a buddy with a chain or power hoist in his garage , you just have to unbolt the outboard from the transom slide plates in and but bolts back in.. Not difficult if you have a way to suspend motor. If you have always wanted a jackplate now would be the time to install one and then get sidemount brackets for your poles.

3. Member
    i was in the same route with my 93 and really did not want a jack plate because i did not know how to get it set right once it was on and went with the sandwich plates, if you plan on keeping the boat for a while i would suggest the jack plate, call Kevin with K&K you will be happy

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    i was in the same route with my 93 and really did not want a jack plate because i did not know how to get it set right once it was on and went with the sandwich plates, if you plan on keeping the boat for a while i would suggest the jack plate, call Kevin with K&K you will be happy

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    very easy if you have a Automotive engine crane or a buddy with a chain or power hoist in his garage , you just have to unbolt the outboard from the transom slide plates in and but bolts back in.. Not difficult if you have a way to suspend motor. If you have always wanted a jackplate now would be the time to install one and then get sidemount brackets for your poles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    I totally understand the concept of installing the sandwich bracket, I just would like to see it done to gains some perspective/confidence in to what it really entails. Also, I've read about guys who have done it WITHOUT a lift by trimming the motor down on a piece of wood, loosening the bolts and removing and replacing them one at a time and sliding the bracket in one bolt at a time.

Yes, I agree that at the time of removing the motor bolts would be a great time to add a jackplate. However, I've read from multiple sources that the R70 doesn't gain anything from a jackplate and that in some cases with these boats it hurts performance. I only have about 6" of space in my garage and I like to be able to get around the boat when its parked in there. I also don't want to drop another ~$1K right now on a hydraulic plate. Even though I'm pretty convinced its a bad idea, I still think about adding a manual jackplate.

Kevin, you sold me the powerpoles and brackets, if I did decided to go with a jack plate would you exchange the sandwich bracket straight across?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    I totally understand the concept of installing the sandwich bracket, I just would like to see it done to gains some perspective/confidence in to what it really entails. Also, I've read about guys who have done it WITHOUT a lift by trimming the motor down on a piece of wood, loosening the bolts and removing and replacing them one at a time and sliding the bracket in one bolt at a time.

Yes, I agree that at the time of removing the motor bolts would be a great time to add a jackplate. However, I've read from multiple sources that the R70 doesn't gain anything from a jackplate and that in some cases with these boats it hurts performance. I only have about 6" of space in my garage and I like to be able to get around the boat when its parked in there. I also don't want to drop another ~$1K right now on a hydraulic plate. Even though I'm pretty convinced its a bad idea, I still think about adding a manual jackplate.

Kevin, you sold me the powerpoles and brackets, if I did decided to go with a jack plate would you exchange the sandwich bracket straight across?
    When I had a Talon, I installed the sandwich brackets for that without removing the motor. I removed one side of the bolts completely and loosened the opposite side as much as possible until I had enough space to slide the adapter plate in. It can be done without a lift, just have to be careful.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    It can be accomplished as mentioned however due to liability as a company we can not suggest it be done that way.( sure you understand. There is always a right and safe way to do something and then there is the unsafe and "way it can be accopmlished" way. As far as the exchange of the brackets PM us. No need for a hydraulic plate on a R70, a manual from vance or slidemaster woud be good. I added a 6 inch on a 17 foot nitro with a 115 years back, I noticed some difference but yes you wont notice as much as a larger and v6 powered boat no.