Wont go into gear?

So I need to troubleshoot this issue and any help, links to info etc would be great.

2000 175 ficht e175fpxssr

18 months ago I hit a floater and a new SEI lower unit was put on. Last night I was out went to go on plane and the motor went out of gear. Just revs like in neutral, no forward or reverse.

Nothing has been grinding, I periodically spin the prop by hand.

Getting any help from a shop Friday before memorial day weekend is not likely. Going to inspect linkage best I can today and call SEI about warranty on LU.

Thanks in advance!
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Remove the motor cover, disconnect the shift cable from the linkage at the motor. If the linkage is actually in neutral the linkage will be parallel to the seam on the engine block. Now while spinning the prop with your foot, move the linkage forward and see if the prop locks up, Now move the linkage back to neutral and again while spinning the prop with your foot move the linkage backwards, it should lock back in gear. If all good, move the shift lever back and forth with out being connected to the motor and see if there is travel on the connecting end of the cable. Chances are you've broken the shift cable at the control box.

3. Member
    ChampioNman good info just as i quick check I went outside removed cowling. When i move the shift lever forward and reverse I clearly see it moving the throttle body and the shift lever on the motor, it engages the prop in both forward and reverse as the prop locks up but it needs a slight turn before it completely locks less than an 1/8 of a turn. later today when i have more time i will investigate further.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Surprised you're running a 25" shaft motor on a bass hull. But regardless good luck. You may just need the cable adjusted.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Surprised you're running a 25" shaft motor on a bass hull. But regardless good luck. You may just need the cable adjusted.
    Was on the boat when i bought it, i do realize it isnt ideal. i hope it is just a cable adjustment, if anyone has good instructions on this i'd appreciate that post. place i go for service is June 10th to look at it.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Pretty much the same deal as I typed out above, just when you connect the cable end back to the shift linkage, you need to remove the shift cable completely from the cable trunion clamp. You then connect the cable end to the linkage and adjust the black trunion nut so the cable slips into the clamp with no binding then tighten up the cable clamp.
    Now if you decide you want to check the shift rod height, You'll need to drop the lower out of the motor, set the lower unit shift rod to neutral and then measure from the deck of the lower to the center of the shift rod eye is 26 3/4" +/- 1/32".

7. Member
    Quick update, so I was getting ready to disconnect the linkage from the control box. I messed with the prop and figured out the hub in the prop was spun or blown out. While the prop engaged when it gear with not much effort the prop spun on the shaft certainly less that the motor wold put on it once in gear. I changed props... boat seemed to run fine with new prop. I plan to still have it looked at but feel pretty confident that is the is the issue.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar