Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone use an electronic brake controller?

I am looking into these on Amazon and I just wondered if anyone has any experience with them.

REESE Towpower 8507111 Brakeman IV Digital Brake Control, Small Compact Design https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017NAH5WK..._bW85CbWMPGTVV
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

2. Member
    Only on trailers that DO NOT GO IN WATER.

3. Banned
    For a basic brake controller that will probably work just fine.

Personally, I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P3. Works awesome.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    For a basic brake controller that will probably work just fine.

Personally, I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P3. Works awesome.

I’m not sure which Tekonsha I bought, but it was the expensive one. I like it quite a bit so far.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I’m not sure which Tekonsha I bought, but it was the expensive one. I like it quite a bit so far.
    Probably the P3. It's auto level, multi-trailer memory, boost function and inertia braking. It works awesome.

Don't most modern HD trucks have these built in? Mine does, I never tow a trailer that needs it though.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    My '13 F-150 SC 4x4 has one built in. I don't have anything with electric brakes to tow.

8. Member
    Had travel trailers from early 80's to early 2000's. Tekonsha was the only one that lasted and worked right.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Don't most modern HD trucks have these built in? Mine does, I never tow a trailer that needs it though.

Yes & no, seems to be an option on some. My f150 (yeah I know, not a HD) it was an option. I have not been overly impressed with the factory controller in my f350. I like to feel the trailer braking and the factory one doesn’t work that way.

What I do wish for is to have 4 wheel electric brake lock on the truck as part of a towing package. Rear only e-brake on many trucks won't hold a boat, RV, heavy utility on a ramp or incline alone and it allows strain to be placed on the pawl in the transmission. Give me a way to lock down every brake on the truck and trailer when I buy a tow package.

11. Member
    I installed a Reese Towpower 8508211 Control Proportional Brake-EVN
    on my truck two years ago. It took me about 20 minutes to install and was easy to adjust. It has worked perfectly for me pulling my camp trailer. Purchase the correct connector for your truck and watch the youtube install video and you wil be happy.

JHelms I made a mistake, I went back and looked at the model I purchased and it is the Reese Towpower 8508211 Control Proportional Brake-EVN

It has worked well for me.
    Last edited by RNF; 05-24-2019 at 08:00 PM.

12. Banned
    Yes & no, seems to be an option on some. My f150 (yeah I know, not a HD) it was an option. I have not been overly impressed with the factory controller in my f350. I like to feel the trailer braking and the factory one doesn’t work that way.
    what year f350? On my 2017 you can adjust it from none at all or all the way to lock tires up.

13. Member
    I have a Tekonsha on my GMC and really like it. If it ever craps out I will buy another.

I have never used the Brakeman but it would probably be ok for something you needed occasionally. It looks like a timed rather than proportional controller. I have pulled with both types and prefer the proportional type.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    what year f350? On my 2017 you can adjust it from none at all or all the way to lock tires up.

A 2012, I first thought it was my trailer, but then I used my other truck and the trailer will lock the tires if need be. My factory one is prob a dud if yours works properly. Heck, I might need to check the fuse in it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    What I do wish for is to have 4 wheel electric brake lock on the truck as part of a towing package. Rear only e-brake on many trucks won't hold a boat, RV, heavy utility on a ramp or incline alone and it allows strain to be placed on the pawl in the transmission. Give me a way to lock down every brake on the truck and trailer when I buy a tow package.
    Now that is a good idea.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post

The new f150’s do this. When you set the parking brake, the pedal will go down to activate the brakes, it’s kind of odd at first.

17. Member
    A 2012, I first thought it was my trailer, but then I used my other truck and the trailer will lock the tires if need be. My factory one is prob a dud if yours works properly. Heck, I might need to check the fuse in it.
    Some of the early Ford's you had to install a relay in the engine compartment fuse box. I'm betting your relay was never installed. The ford factory brake controllers work just as good as aftermarket ones. You can set them from 0 to 10 in .5 increments. I tow a 27 foot enclosed snowmobile trailer and of I set the controller high enough it will lock up and stop the truck. I usually run it at a setting of 5.5 to 6 depending on road conditions.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Some of the early Ford's you had to install a relay in the engine compartment fuse box. I'm betting your relay was never installed. The ford factory brake controllers work just as good as aftermarket ones. You can set them from 0 to 10 in .5 increments. I tow a 27 foot enclosed snowmobile trailer and of I set the controller high enough it will lock up and stop the truck. I usually run it at a setting of 5.5 to 6 depending on road conditions.
    I’ll have the dealership check it, seems like it works a tiny bit when I use the thumb bar slide; but won’t lock tires even at 10.

19. Banned
    I’ll have the dealership check it, seems like it works a tiny bit when I use the thumb bar slide; but won’t lock tires even at 10.
    That could be the trailer, unless you have checked multiple trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZII View Post
    Only on trailers that DO NOT GO IN WATER.
    Why? I prefer electric brakes over surge brakes any day. Last trailer didn't come with brakes although is was over most state's weight limit. Had a set of electric brakes installed and my Sierra already had a controller.. Worked fantastic. Bought a new diesel Colorado with the integrated brake controller and it was even better.

Now I have a new Skeeter with surge brakes and wish I had my electric brakes back.

Nothing wrong with electric brakes on a boat trailer. We use them in the rain, right? I would unplug my trailer lights at the ramp anyways to help save light bulbs from blowing. Not using electric brakes on a boat trailer is a myth nowadays.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast