Merc 4S 250 XS octane?

I have one dealer telling me to use midrange octane, another is telling me premium octane. Help?
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

2. Member
    Read your owners manual and do what it says in there.

Oh, and check the forum announcements and post the requested information..
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the Top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thx guys
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

6. Member
    I always run mid grade at the least and non ethanol as much as possible. Haven't had any issues..

7. Member
    I have only ran 87 in my 2 stroke and never a problem for 300 hours replaced with a 4 stroke and 75 hours no problems.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    ....fine.
    The word used in literature is acceptable (not good, better, best, fine, or recommended).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The word used in literature is acceptable (not good, better, best, fine, or recommended).
    So run 87 or 89?

Lol

11. Member
    I've filled the boat up twice since starting the post. Put 91 octane both times..
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

12. Member
    Only non ethanol fuel I have around here is 91. So 91 it will be....

13. mikesxpress
    Running my 4.6L since last July. I experimented with non E fuel and standard 87 E fuel multiple times. I wanted to believe the 91 octane would run better but it really isn't noticeable in performance or fuel mileage. Sticking with the 87 E fuel.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Folks- 87 octane is the recommended fuel.

Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are higher octane than is required can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER. Essentially... that "better" fuel may be costing you coming, and going.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Folks- 87 octane is the recommended fuel.

Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are higher octane than is required can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER. Essentially... that "better" fuel may be costing you coming, and going.
    Great info. Guess I'll go back to the 87 (I can still find one station with no ethanol). Thx again
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S