SHO dip stick oil reading

What side of the dip stick is correct when checking oil. One side is higher than the other side.

2. Member
    That’s normal if you don’t tilt the motor up for a bit and then back down before taking a reading. Or if you don’t wipe the dipstick and take a fresh reading.

3. Member
    I’ve had a SHO since 2010. It doesn’t matter if you tilt it up, wipe the dip stick, or whatever else you decide to do when checking the oil. One side of the dip stick is going to show a higher reading than the other, so go with the high side.
    X

4. Member
    Ive had SHOs since 2011 too and they all read different. I read the bottom personally

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeetRJ View Post
    I’ve had a SHO since 2010. It doesn’t matter if you tilt it up, wipe the dip stick, or whatever else you decide to do when checking the oil. One side of the dip stick is going to show a higher reading than the other, so go with the high side.
    I have a 2010 (with the replaced powerhead) and I also have a dip stick that reads higher on one side than the other but it is usually only 1/8" or so. I try to fill the oil so that the highest side is just below the top full hole on the stick. My engine has about 80 hours now since the powerhead was replaced and it doesn't seem to make any oil. As has been noted by many - it is important to trim the engine up and I turn it full left and full right, leave it trimmed fully up for 15 minutes then trim down level, remove the oil fill cap, remove the dip stick (usually shows no oil or very low at this first removal), wipe the dip stick clean and replace, remove and read. This procedure has worked well for me. Kinda of pain to check the oil but in the overall scheme of things the pain is worth the smile every time I run the wonderful collection of engineering, technology, and precision machining that makes a Sho a Sho!