Needing to know how much a new roof cost in New England?

So,I am in RI this weekend at my Mom's house for my nieces graduation in ME on Sunday. My Mom tells me she may be getting a new roof and has a quote for 13k. Her home is 1200 sq ft ranch with a 2 car garage built in 1962 and presently has 2 layers of shingles on it. This price seems really high to me but I may be out of touch of what things cost in RI since I've been gone for 15 years. Anyone have an opinion on this or know of a good roofer? Thanks
    Last edited by JHenry; 05-23-2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Things are so busy around here that I am sure people are throwing crazy estimates out there because they are so booked. That said, with 2 layers of shingles, it has to be stripped down to bare wood, cannot be shingled over. That means more $$$

3. Member
    I’m getting a roof on my house in VT as we speak. The house is almost like that one just with a 1 car garage and was built in 1968. It’s costing me $13k but I had get new roof decking too. When they built they built it, they used the foundation forms as the roof decking. The cement made it soft after all these years.

4. Member
    It's close to $4/sf of roof surface (not floor area...) in the NE, including stripping, product and disposal.

Just got mine done and it was $7000. We had quotes all the way from $5,000 to $15,000. My home is was 1400 sq feet simple roof.

6. Member
    Dont know about RI but I had a new standing seam metal roof put on my house in VT last summer. Good standing seam, removed shingles, gabled roof larger than you said plus attached 2 car garage was 14k. Same $ for a simple shingle roof sounds pricy to me.

I had mine done less than 2 yrs ago. I had one price at $14K and two others at $11K. My roof took 35 squares. If you know how many squares it will take, you should pay no more than $400 a square. Some roofers may charge only $300 a square. So, ask the roofer how many squares he is planning on for your roof.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

8. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. She has gotten several more quotes and last I heard had one for $8,200 that included removing gutters and replacing the wood they are attached to and reinstalling them. I will ask about the square thing.

9. Member
    last year I got and estimate for 10.000 I have a ranch 80 ft. long 35 / 36 sq. about 300.00 a sq. a square is 10 ft. by 10ft that was to strip in down two layers rubber 6ft up then tarpaper new flashing all around a lot of money a metal roof is 3 times the cost