Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    A wake boat at 100 yards much less a 100 ft is enough to roll you. Sounds like a good law to me.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

2. Member
    Just another law to get us closer to posted speed limits, Hp regulations, and eventually all electric motors. The government trying to regulate everything the people do. We have creeks that run for miles they may be 100 yards wide, but when a homeowner puts a boat dock on each side that sticks out in the water 100ft or more its going to make that creek an all idle creek? Thats BS. So basically we are going to be idling everywhere we go. Unless you are on the main lake, but wait what if somebody is fishing a hump out in the middle or the college kids in thier wakeboat have fell off thier wakeboard and are swimming in the lake? Its a stupid law written up by clueless lawmakers that are just being probably paid by some rich lake homeonwers association. I totally agree you Mr Yarbrough and so does alot of other fishermen around Cullman. I know of one that has already called and talked to thier represenative about this.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYE View Post
    100 ft is not very far at all. Get a tape and measure it out on land to get a feel for it. For a grown man, that's about 30 to 35 paces. If a boat buzzes me at 100 ft at 50+mph, I'm going to be pretty pissed. Especially if there is a half mile of open lake that he's not using.
    Yeah, at 100 ft you can easily cast into their wake. Also, when they are coming at you at less than 100 feet you will be nervous because it will look like they are going to hit your boat. I think a lot of people mix up yards and feet. 100 yards = football field, 100 feet = regular cast.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bustasack View Post
    but wait what if somebody is fishing a hump out in the middle or the college kids in thier wakeboat have fell off thier wakeboard and are swimming in the lake?
    You are running within 30 yards of them now? YIKES!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    We now have State Troopers for water safety. I hope it passes and they enforce it strictly.
    Just remember what you said Skeeter, when you are running down the Alabama River and turn into a creek and a boat just happens to be fishing on the inside of the creek and you go by him and that State trooper writes you a ticket.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    You are running within 30 yards of them now? YIKES!
    You live in Ohio and we live in Alabama you have no idea what a crowded lake looks like. Have you ever been to Guntersville on a weekend? Or Smith lake on a weekend in the Summer? And no I try not to run that close to anybody but sometimes you cannot help it.

7. Member

No wake zone

The way I take it is for any boat. A lake like lake Ozark on a summer weekend . The hole lake would half
    two be no wake zone.

Just remember what you said Skeeter, when you are running down the Alabama River and turn into a creek and a boat just happens to be fishing on the inside of the creek and you go by him and that State trooper writes you a ticket.
    It will only happen if I didn't see him in time, and I will accept such a citation. I am not a person in a hurry. I don't mind idling by in a narrow channel. And I do know what an idle is. I even run a Bailey foil because it improves idle characteristics.

9. Member
    Come on Neely Henry this weekend and you WILL see crowded!

I live on Neely and am on it weekly. IMO, the old river Bridge on hwy 77, they should take off the idle speed only signs. You should see the wakes some I/Os and pontoons put off going under that bridge. Our wonderful WP we have now just sits there with binos looking for someone to harass. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for going above a idle in this zone or the one at Coosa Landing.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

10. Member
    You live in Ohio and we live in Alabama you have no idea what a crowded lake looks like.
    Well, Ohio has more people living in it and only one lake larger than 3,000 acres. Please tell me again how I have no idea what a crowded lake looks like!

Been on G plenty. Isn't close to what we contend with.

You live in Ohio and we live in Alabama you have no idea what a crowded lake looks like. Have you ever been to Guntersville on a weekend? Or Smith lake on a weekend in the Summer? And no I try not to run that close to anybody but sometimes you cannot help it.
    Wow, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. There's basically no water in Ohio while you guys have multiple lakes 10k-30k acres and bigger. Super small lakes equals seriously crowded and a 2500 acre lake is big up here.

I don't see anything wrong with this law

2009 ELITE 210

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Well, Ohio has more people living in it and only one lake larger than 3,000 acres. Please tell me again how I have no idea what a crowded lake looks like!

Been on G plenty. Isn't close to what we contend with.
    Just because you have more people in your state doesnt mean you have more fishermen and wakeboarders.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Wow, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. There's basically no water in Ohio while you guys have multiple lakes 10k-30k acres and bigger. Super small lakes equals seriously crowded and a 2500 acre lake is big up here.
    well then you see where we wouldn't need this law then, I can see where you would need this law there. We have lakes that are 60 and 70k acres and don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    You would think this would all be common sense

Week before last I fished M-F on Fork. There was a fairly large tournament coming that weekend so I expected some crowds. No big deal it's a big lake. Looking back I can say I have never been cut off or crowded as bad in my years of fishing out there. It was not really crowded but you literally still would have people have no issue pulling up beside you and start fishing towards you then act like you did something wrong when you go around them. If they saw you catch a fish they would follow you around and be right on you. Had multiple times of idling to a point and almost dropping trolling motor just to have a guy blow around you on pad and start fishing in front of you. One day the wife was with me and was like WTH.

Not a one of them were under 45-60yrs old I bet and you would have expected they knew better. The stupidity happened at the ramps as well. Guys cutting in line, parking on the ramps while getting stuff ready etc. They all shared something else too.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Week before last I fished M-F on Fork. There was a fairly large tournament coming that weekend so I expected some crowds. No big deal it's a big lake. Looking back I can say I have never been cut off or crowded as bad in my years of fishing out there. It was not really crowded but you literally still would have people have no issue pulling up beside you and start fishing towards you then act like you did something wrong when you go around them. If they saw you catch a fish they would follow you around and be right on you. Had multiple times of idling to a point and almost dropping trolling motor just to have a guy blow around you on pad and start fishing in front of you. One day the wife was with me and was like WTH.

Not a one of them were under 45-60yrs old I bet and you would have expected they knew better. The stupidity happened at the ramps as well. Guys cutting in line, parking on the ramps while getting stuff ready etc. They all shared something else too.
    Let me guess................................... All out of state?. Sounds familiar to what goes on around here. Did they try the ol fish right up to you and never look up from the electronics and never even acknowledge you were there trick?

Let me guess................................... All out of state?. Sounds familiar to what goes on around here.

Nope. That wasn't it. The more I think about it the more that part of it was due to the upcoming tournament as to it being in common.

18. Member

Got to love some of the stupidity, but sometimes it's entertaining. Last weekend there was a smaller fishing boat with 4 guys and it and unfortunately I hooked a fish right as they were idling by, and they noticed despite my best efforts to hide it. The entertaining part was I fishing a drop off and they shut down just down from where I was fishing but where they were fishing was 40 feet of open fishless water.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

19. Member
    Nope. That wasn't it. The more I think about it the more that part of it was due to the upcoming tournament as to it being in common.
    Not the dreaded jersey wearing???

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

I see no issue with the proposed law, but on certain bodies of water I can see how it would become very easy to unknowingly break that law.

Mark, what you just typed is why I can’t bring myself to go back to tournament fishing. When I have these things happen to me on the weekend fun trips, I just don’t want to get competition involved because it would be bad for my personality!

Fishing a small lake recently someone believed I cut them off. He was fishing a crankbait in 13’ of water and I had 1 rod on the deck, a frog. So while I did go past him I went directly to the bank, 100 yards away, and we were fishing for 2 very different types of fish. He got pissed, did a 360 as close to me as he could, and took off. I caught up with him the next weekend and explained, he apologized for overreacting, and I apologized for not voicing what my intentions were.

We now wave and speak when we see each other but the complete lack of awareness bothers me a lot! Everyone thinks they own the land, water, their “secret spot” etc. I fish to relax and have fun, not for confrontation.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast