My version of a Pole Mount

I run a tiller boat and wanted something that I can run from that position, so I built this which is working well and more importantly, is solid as a rock. I used a 42* Lund Sport Trac bracket from Cisco Fishing Products to attach to the boat, I can (in seconds) remove and position it any where on the boat. I use it for locating shad for bait and I move it to the bow where I throw a cast net from. ( fun watching the cast net drop, frustrating watching gizzards swim away from the net) On top of the Cisco bracket I used a Cannon downrigger base w/ a locking tab. The pole is made from Minnkota parts, the bracket, tube and shaft are for a Edge (55#-52"shaft). This allows me to raise and lower the xducer, slide it up and it is out of the water for travel at high speed. The bracket also allows me to tip it up completely if wanted. The two round knobs on the Cisco mount allow me to remove the entire mount and move it in seconds, Or the tab lock on the Cannon base allows me to slide the bracket and pole off and leave the Cisco and Cannon parts in place. I had to fabricate a couple pieces but nothing difficult and it works.
    I probably could have purchased something for the same money, maybe less, but I like tinkering and I know it is solid. Just thought I would share.

15mi7fb.jpg 11j7j3p.jpg oppsv9.jpg 2dsmfc2.jpg 343g688.jpg
    Last edited by azbohunter; 05-24-2019 at 04:48 PM.

2. Member
    Ima tinkerer too. What you did looks good waaaay better than some of the commercial solutions I’ve seen.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Ima tinkerer too. What you did looks good waaaay better than some of the commercial solutions I’ve seen.
    Thanks..

4. Member
    Very nice.
    Could you post a close up picture of the joint that allows you to swing from the vertical to horizontal when the unit is deployed.
    Referring to the last 2 pictures.

Thanks

5. Member
    Really nice. I have mine mounted on a similar bracket that fits in my Lund track as well. I used a ram mount on mine looks like the main difference. Nice job!

6. Member
    MikeF..
    HINGE BASE/DOOR ASY #2991829 is the part $23.68 . I fabricated the piece that fits in side from 2 x 2 x 1/4 square aluminum tube, I cut one side off the make it a channel instead of tube (I had it on hand). I miss stated the Minnkota model in OP as Fortrex, the parts are for Minnkota Edge 55#-52" shaft.
    close up of bracket.jpg open bracket.jpg mounted bracket.jpg base.jpg bracket.jpg
    Last edited by azbohunter; 05-24-2019 at 10:05 AM.

7. Member
    Thanks Royt

8. Member
    Nice work

9. Member
    Well thought out and creative solution. Nice job!
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

10. Banned
    You need to make a way to swivel it. So when its out of the water you can turn it 90 and not be sticking outside the boat. Thats your home work assignment for the weekend. Expect to see pics tues. Have a good Holiday

11. Member
    Thanks for the positive comments, they are appreciated!
    Rocket man...I was going to add a Cannon Swivel base that would have accomplished that. https://www.amazon.com/CANNON-SS-SMS...gateway&sr=8-2
    I figured for $75 bucks I could push the lock release on the current base and lay it in the boat. My intentions were to do the swivel base, actually had a post of W/Central looking for a used swivel base. For the right price I would do that but not this weekend :)

12. Banned
    Check a Johnny Ray mount.

This would be cheaper.

13. Banned

14. Member
    It is cheaper but not near as strong. I used one of those on a very similar mount I made a couple years ago, forgot to lift it up when I accelerated and it broke. Not a good deal, the Cannon swivel mount would have been a "lot" cheaper in the long run!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    You need to make a way to swivel it. So when its out of the water you can turn it 90 and not be sticking outside the boat. Thats your home work assignment for the weekend. Expect to see pics tues. Have a good Holiday
    Mine works like you suggest, but it still sticks over the side when tilted up, and hits docks unless its completely removed. Im just using an old Minkota trolling motor transom mount, base and shaft I got for free (dead motor) plus some aluminum channel and a few bolts. Cut off the motor, remove the head and you have a nice swivel/pivot mount that you can raise, lower, turn, tilt easily. Two over size wing nuts make it easy to remove.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

16. Member
    azbohunter

Thanks for the additional pics.

I must have had an optical illusion with #4-5 pics in your first post when I first looked at it.

The pics looked like the shaft had rotated from vertical to horizontal along side the boat, and could not figure out how you made it rotate that direction, but now when I look at it, it tilts into the boat. DOH!!

I am going to blame it on my glasses or the computer screen. LOL

Still a very nice job.

Thanks

17. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=717519 This is pretty much the identical mount, I made it for a PS31 three years ago. I used a Johnny Ray swivel base and you can see that it did swivel and lay on the gunnel with no parts extruding to hit docks etc. The Johnny Ray mount broke .....