Thunder Bay Alpena advice

I need some advice on fishing lake Huron for smallies. I tried fishing thunder bay maybe a dozen times last year. Not one smallie anywhere out in the lake. I have caught them on the beds but once they stop spawning my goose is cooked. I have caught them in the river and by the cement factory but once I leave that area i cant seem to find them anywhere. I have tried the most beautiful looking water i have seen with underwater rocky humps points ledges and no luck. I rarely see other bass boats out fishing. I know if it was great fishing there would be bassboats out there all the time. I live right on Huron but have no luck. I have never seen such gorgeous looking water in my life. Anyway you can pm with any advice if you dont want to post here thanks

2. Member
    what are you throwing at them? Tubes, swimbaits, jerkbait, spinnerbait?
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

Have you watched Zona’s Live show with Chris Zaldain that was filmed up there?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

4. Member
    I throw mostly tubes and occasionally swimbaits.

5. Member
    I really can't offer much help, only fished it a couple times and we only did fair. It was hard to fish as everywhere we went looked like perfect habitat for smallies. Good luck up there!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    I really can't offer much help, only fished it a couple times and we only did fair. It was hard to fish as everywhere we went looked like perfect habitat for smallies. Good luck up there!
    That is the same issue I've had...Its always bee. Feast or famine for me...Either I hit them good or I get skunked...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    I know it’s sacrilegious for a bass boat to troll, but when figuring out new water, trolling some jerkbaits and maybe a spinnerbait in the spread can help you find the good smallmouth spots. You can cast those spots for the rest of the year once you fish the fish.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piketroller View Post
    I know it’s sacrilegious for a bass boat to troll, but when figuring out new water, trolling some jerkbaits and maybe a spinnerbait in the spread can help you find the good smallmouth spots. You can cast those spots for the rest of the year once you fish the fish.
    I have a bass boat and troll quite often when trying to find fish, it is a great way to find them for sure!

9. Member
    I watched the Zona episode and he confirmed what I have been thinking that these fish move constantly. Trying to catch them in one spot is kind of pot luck. I have talked to guys that told me they cruise with trolling motor and look for them. I have seen guys doing that. They will pull in on top of an underwater hump and run the length of it looking and never make a cast and they will take off to the next spot. That is totally foreign to me. The only time I have seen fish is on the beds. That is the only time I can catch them. Other than that they disappear. I have seen them on the beds in July. The water here stays cold for a long time. When I go out past north point the water temp drops 8 degrees. I am going to keep trying till I unlock the secret. I live right on squaw bay but I dont keep my boat in the water. I like to fish all the other inland lakes where I can catch some. I have lived here for a year and a half and Lake Huron is my biggest disappointment. All the other lakes are fantastic. As far as trolling, I hate it. But I might have to give it a try to boost my learning curve. Anyone wanting to go fishing a day can drop me a PM. I am retired and can fish anytime. I have a 21 ft stratos that we can go in. It doesnt have to be Huron either. Just looking for fishing friends. I fish mostly alone and would love to hook up with someone to fish. My name is Denny and you can drop me a PM for my cell number.

10. Member
    Maybe try and find areas that have transition bottom structure, like a sand flat next to humps or rocky bottoms. I could never find any weeds as we were always there early in the year, but that might be another thing to try and find.