Eel grass St Johns River

Why isn’t the FWC or St Johns Water planting eel grass in the river. Is this not possible? They have plenty of money for spraying.

2. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    That's phase 2.. Once they finally kill off -all- the vegetation, they'll get a "new" govt. grant to "restore" the vegetation.. And the cycle will start over. Remember, they once spent like 8 million $ to restore vegetation on Lake Monroe.. It worked!! But Im almost positive they've finally killed -all- the eel grass in Volusia Co.. So restoration talks should start in a year or two!

3. Member
    $ making cycle..

4. Member
    They will have to plant some soon as there is nothing left to spray here in the upper St Johns

5. Member
    In addition to all the other problems we have, now bugs are eating all the spatter docks in Julington Creek. They will probably kill a large portion of the pads. I rode from Julington Creek to Tocoi and there is no vegetation unless you go in the creeks.

6. Gray
    There was also a lot of algae bloom today in the river south of Shands bridge.
    2017 Tracker 195 TXW Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80
    Minn Kota 10' Talon x2
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    That's phase 2.. Once they finally kill off -all- the vegetation, they'll get a "new" govt. grant to "restore" the vegetation.. And the cycle will start over. Remember, they once spent like 8 million $ to restore vegetation on Lake Monroe.. It worked!! But Im almost positive they've finally killed -all- the eel grass in Volusia Co.. So restoration talks should start in a year or two!
    Ain't that the truth. I remember reading an article about the Huge Success the FWC had done on replacing all the eel grass in Lake Monroe. How at first they would plant it and come back the next day to find it gone, then they discovered the Turtles were eating it all overnight and started using Baskets to protect it until it took hold. Was proclaimed to be one of the best restorations in the Nation and one that other states came to to see how it was done.

Now look at it. Sprayed and Sprayed until everything has been lost. What a shame.

8. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Now look at it. Sprayed and Sprayed until everything has been lost. What a shame.
    Yep. But I can't believe how resilient the reeds are.. They're struggling too, but at least a few of them have rebounded (on the lake).. Can't imagine the chemical war they must of waged on the southern end of the river (South of Harney to Cocoa area), cause those are apparently gone for good. FWC should be ashamed of themselves.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Ain't that the truth. I remember reading an article about the Huge Success the FWC had done on replacing all the eel grass in Lake Monroe. How at first they would plant it and come back the next day to find it gone, then they discovered the Turtles were eating it all overnight and started using Baskets to protect it until it took hold. Was proclaimed to be one of the best restorations in the Nation and one that other states came to to see how it was done.

This project happened back in the early 1980's. They also planted the bulrushes. They used prison labor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    Yep. But I can't believe how resilient the reeds are.. They're struggling too, but at least a few of them have rebounded (on the lake).. Can't imagine the chemical war they must of waged on the southern end of the river (South of Harney to Cocoa area), cause those are apparently gone for good. FWC should be ashamed of themselves.
    Yes they nuked every living thing in our part here in the upper St Johns for a long time, and when all that was gone they started on the only thing that was left, the stands of bulrush, I was livid when I saw that. It's easy for them here as they can get into Winder and Poinsett during the week cause no one can see them and they just dump their loads of chemicals all year long. And we still keep hearing them spouting on that they only target evasive's, which is nothing but a disgusting lie.

11. Member
    Well the FWC does just target the Invasives, but the Companies that are getting the money to Spray Spray EVERYTHING so they can use up the amount of stuff they need to fo that day.

They don't give a rip if it's a "good" plant or a "bad" one, just as long as they get their 1-2 tanks of poison put out of each boat every day of the week. Thousands of Gallons of that Junk is being put into our waters every day, all so some dudes in suit gets to pocket the money. They ought to be in Prison fro what they have done to our Environment.

If you or I dumped that much junk you can bet you sweet backside it would be in all the papers and you'd be a Poster Boy for the Prison System.

FWC= Fish Without Cover

Here they just fill the lakes (Santee cooper) with grass carp by the thousands. Good luck finding any Hydrilla.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.