Engine oil tank issues

250XS 0T819123 - I’m having a couple of issues with my engine mounted oil tank. At the end of the season last year the tank wasn’t filling while running the boat. I recently replaced the check valve and bled the tank. Ran the boat today for the first time this season and checked the oil upon returning to the slip - it was 1-1.5 inches low. So I was wondering why the low oil level warning didn’t come on the smartcraft gauge so disconnected the plug from the sensor and still no alarm. The tank was replaced a year ago?? The second issue is the tank not filling. Cap on main tank is tight?? Thanks In Advance

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't say without testing the tank/float/sensor what the exact situation there is.

You may have an air leak somewhere, an skewed or poorly seated cap/fitting, bad check valve, broken reed on #6, etc.

Start by checking for any leaks at the remote tank, caps, o-rings, etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Had the line from the main tank blocked so the tank is now filling at idle. Hopefully will fill at cruise. How can I test tank/float/sensor??

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to test your alarm itself FIRST. Computer Diagnostic System will help to determine if a fault is being set, and also has self-test features that test the warning horn.

Unplugging the tank harness should result in a warning.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I unplugged the harness but didn't get an alarm - I next removed close to half the oil from the tank at which point I did get an alarm on the smartcraft gauge but it said 99% oil remaining - ???

6. Member
    Oil percentages on the smartcraft gauge comes from the oil level sensor in the REMOTE oil tank in the boat. The RESERVE reservoir on the motor will only give an alarm for low oil, not a level reading.

Do you have a oil level sensor on the REMOTE tank in the boat? If not then the smartcraft gauge needs set-up to indicate NOT INSTALLED for oil level

7. Member
    Thanks Savage - I do believe there are sensors on the remote tanks which don't seem to be working since I have the boat -- You Guys are awesome!! Thanks once again

8. Member