Thread: Loss of topend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Loss of topend

E225STLEDE

Last fall: topend 66-67mph at 6000 rpm consistent with 3 or 4 different props. Over the winter, put in waterpump, added gearlube, winterized (fresh plugs this spring).

now: 60mph at 5900 rpm

I thought it was a spark issue as it has been hard to start and I had intermittant spark on the muffs. I topped the battery water off, put a good charge and retested spark. On the muffs, with a spark tester, all cylinders tested good. I lake tested with same results: 60mph at 5900rpm.

Came home: tested compression-all the same, butterflies opening 100%, blew out high speed jets with carb cleaner, check cylinder head temps and they are 115-125F while idling on muffs.

Lake Test #2: same results. motor starts fine and idles fine (although quickstart doesnt seem to always to kickoff all the time). Hole shot is a little slow. boat accelerates okay and acts okay up to 5200 rpm. AFter that, rpm go up and sounds louder, but no more speed. It actually slow down like its not getting full fuel. Came back to ramp and threw a 2nd set of spark plugs at it-same results.

Suggestions please. Fuel starvation? bulb, line and filters replaced 12 months ago.

Just back from Lake test #3: Acts okay under slow/steady acceleration . If I'm cruising at 5000 rpm and stomp on it, I actually lose 2-300 rpm but that eventually picks back up. With slow steady acceleration and trimming I got to 6000rpm and 62mph. I am getting low on gas though.

Last edited by Bassbuster95; 05-23-2019 at 03:52 PM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Fuel starvation would give you a solid alarm over 4500, make sure you didn't get thrust washers for the props mixed up. 6-7 MPH drop with only a loss of 100 RPM is pretty drastic.

3. Banned
    Very possible. Will double check.

Just checked and they are correct.

Timing?
    Last edited by Bassbuster95; 05-24-2019 at 10:11 AM. Reason: checked thrust washer

Prop lost some cup or pitch?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Banned
    shouldn't have just sitting the garage all winter? That's what it acts like though

6. Member
    67 at 6000 one trip and the 60 at 5900 the next isn’t the motor. It’s a boat or more likely a prop problem.

7. Banned
    update: Ran 2 props today.

25 tempest @ 63mph @ 6000 rpm
    25 Trophy @ 63mph @ 6000 rpm

Before running, I put in 3 oz Quickleen and 15 gallons of fresh 87 Octane fuel. (thought maybe the 87 would be fresher than the no ethanol/91 oct I ran last time?)

Boat feels like it wants to run good. I can hold my foot at 7/8 throttle and get 63, then go the rest 1/8 and actually lose speed? same for both props? All in all, I'm now down 3mph from last year, which is better thatn it was. Bad gas on the first fill up of year????

Some thoughts/ideas. Last year, I pulled lower for a fresh water pump. I painted it at the same time. could the paint be the issue? Waterpump? When reassembling, the exhaust extender/thingy is a beotch to get lined up from lower to mid. Could we have missed this and excessive exhaust is going where it shouldn't? Also, I noticed my fresh paint is getting worn on the scag already. BUt only on one side. We then noticed the lower wasn't in line with the mid 100%. Could this be the issue? Also, the lower drain plug actually sticks out beyond the case. Is this causing turbulant water?

It sure seems hard to start this year as well. After that first start, its fires right off the rest of the day though. I took the air silencer off to look for carb leaks when pumping bulb hard-none that I saw. However, the gas/oil mixture on the carbs/throttle bodies is kind of foamy after running??? normal?

Since it starts and runs, I think I am done chasing my tail. Just gonna run it and go fishing...albeit slower than last year.
    Last edited by Bassbuster95; 05-29-2019 at 03:46 PM.

8. Banned
    Just for giggles, i bought a new inline gas line filter and put it on. Not sure how, but there was a lady bug inside the old filter along with some debris. It didn't look like gasline inerds/lining, but I'm going to keep an eye on it. Test run in a day or 2....

There could be some junk in your fuel tank that is restricting fuel flow just a little. I've seen it before and the Culprit was the little grand daughter putting plastic worms in the fuel tank. It took a couple years for them to figure out what was wrong.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take off the air box and inspect the throttle body linkages, check for tightness on all components, the cross over linkage on top, and the couplings from the upper to lower TB's they secure the posts with Allen head bolts.

11. Banned
    checked connections and they seem tight. I changed teh water seperator filter as well...more lady bugs (2).

How are lady bugs getting into your fuel?

13. Banned
    lol. I wish I knew.

14. Banned
    lake test: 63mph at 6000 rpm. Seems to run fine just missing some top end oomph. still down 3mph. Head scratcher for sure.

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Only input I have is I hope you get the bugs worked out of it ...

16. Banned
    good one! I did a decarb today after the lake test. maybe that'll clear the bugs out?

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I hope you get her running back up to your expectations

18. Member
    [QUOTE Boat feels like it wants to run good. I can hold my foot at 7/8 throttle and get 63, then go the rest 1/8 and actually lose speed? same for both props? All in all, I'm now down 3mph from last year, which is better than it was. [/QUOTE] I've had this exact issue for the last 4 years & myself or a local shop haven't figured it out either. If you do please post the cause. Thanks

19. Banned
    64mph on a slight chop tonight.....after a decarb. starting to get there.

There are times, cruising at 1/2-3/4 throttle where I can suddenly feel/see the speed pick up. almost like spark got stronger or a piece of garbage cleared through a jet? motor suddenly takes off.

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you can, while running wide open, reach down and push in on the key and see if the motor picks up or bogs. If it picks up you have a fuel issue. If it bogs electrical. Inspect all of the small hoses, recirc, primer. Check the valve on the primer solenoid for cracks. Remove the air box and inspect the carb bowls for fuel seepage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast