Dobyns HP 742c vs. 742sf

Just wondering if these are the same blank. I've seen Tacticalbassin rave about the 742sf, but never mention the casting model. Do they fish the same? Also, what do you throw on this rod? Much appreciated, Sean.

2. Member
    I have both rods. They are definitely not the same blank and fish differently. The 742c is excellent for weightless senkos and is a medium power. This is my primary use with that rod. I hear it also a really good shakey head rod but I have not used it for that yet. The 742sf is a medium light power. I use it for drop shots and smaller shakey heads and it excels at both these techniques. Sf has a very soft tip with a little backbone. Tip on the 742c is light but nowhere near the sf. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    That does, thanks!

4. Member
    I have heard that the 743sf is very similar to the 742c.

5. Member
    I have the 742c mentioned, just wondered why I never see anyone talking about it. In Tacticalbassin's video, Matt says the sf is great for small keitechs. Haven't got to fish mine, so don't know what weights to primarily stick to. Do you think it would be good for soft jerk-baits?

6. Member
    742c is excellent with soft jerkbaits the 742sf is ok with a small weightless zoom fluke jr. I have a champion 703sf that does a much better job with soft jerkbaits on spinning. I like a little heavier rod to set the hook with soft jerkbaits.

7. Member
    I much prefer casting gear, and will definitely try your suggestions on my 742c. I avoid spinning gear like the plague. I've even looked at ways to throw a dropshot on casting gear.

8. Member
    I find the 742c great for Neko rig as well as shakey heads. In the winter it is ideal for blade baits like a silver buddy. Like you I hate spinning gear but it is a necessary evil here.

9. Member
    I use the 742C for flukes, 4&5" wacky rigged Senkos, and 1/4 oz. Keitech jigs with plastics. I use the 742SF for small paddletail swimbaits, shakey heads, spybaits, etc.