Skeeterzx190

Issues helix g3n high speed 2d sonar puck

Anyone heard of issues with new g3n units with the 2d sonar puck epoxied in bildge area? Mine picks up no sonar at all and no depth...well reads 1000’ plus feet or nothing..my dads new 9 will read sometimes and other times takes forever to show sonar and depth or will flash and go back and forth between crazy high numbers and low numbers. Both mine and his has nothing to do with shallow water as happens regardless of depth. I called cust service and they are sending me a new pick to try but now seeing my fathers having issues im wondering if it’s a bird issue. Software up to date and we installed according to manual and video. I have a 2009 skeeter zx190 and he 1999 ranger commanche.

2. Member
    Did y'all test the mount location on the water before the final install

3. Skeeterzx190
    No I placed it within 3” of old one. No issue with older one. What would interfere with it based on placement in Hull? Again we’re talking 3” within old one, fiberglass cleaned, slightly roughed up and dry prior to install. I know if too far forward to bow itvwontvread due to on plane and out of water, but I’m maybe 7” from the back so it’s always in water.

4. Member
    I had the same issue on an older unit and it turned out to be a bad transducer (brand new), which was a real pain given the fact that I epoxied it in. I hope that’s not your situation but consider it as a possibility.

5. Skeeterzx190
    I guess we will see if that’s the issue with me. Been waiting 2 weeks now for a new replacement to try.

6. Skeeterzx190
    Anyone know how to remove an epoxyed puck or do you always have to find a new spot. The original spot did work with orig 2009 puck.

7. Member
    Possibly someone with the same boat could tell you about location but you need to test the location before you epoxy it in. You can break the old one free by placing a 2x4 next to it and hitting the 2x4 with the hammer. Then grind or sand the spot smooth. Maybe have a boat rigger do it. Bob

8. Member
    Before I did anything, I would borrow a similar Helix from a friend and see if it does the same thing. If it does, then change out the xdcr.

I cut the cable on a xdcr in the bilge from an old Lowrance 520. It worked perfectly in that location which was installed at the factory by Ranger Boats when they built my boat years ago. We set a new HB xdcr near the Low xdcr but it didn't work well. Moved it around two or three times before we realized the Low xdcr was in the "sweet spot". So, we did what Bob Coy suggested and knocked out the old Low xdcr with a small piece of 2x4 and a hammer, ground it down a bit with a small grinder, sanded down the area, cleaned it good with acetone, I think it was, and epoxied the HB 2D xdcr in that spot. Works great.
    Last edited by BrownTrout; 05-26-2019 at 08:35 AM.