Thread: Transom Saver

Transom Saver

I have a question I'm a pretty new boat owner. I'm about to go on a 3hr trip. I have a 2018 Evinrude 115 it has the trail lock arm on the motor. My question is do I still need to buy a ransom saver arm or will the trail lock arm do the job going down the highway?20190523_081755.jpg

2. Member
    I don’t see how that would offer any protection since it’s not taking any of the weight off the transom.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You'll be fine using the trailer bracket that's what it is there for, I use mine all the time with no issues, the after markets like the Lock N Stow do the same thing. To keep the motor from flopping to the side use a bungy cord around the shift/throttle handle and the steering wheel if you have cable steering or the steering clamps if you have hydraulic.

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have used my trailering bracket for as long as I've owned my boat with no problems ,I have no feed back steering and the motor does not flop side to side on it....
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    Thank yall very much!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You'll be fine using the trailer bracket that's what it is there for, I use mine all the time with no issues, the after markets like the Lock N Stow do the same thing. To keep the motor from flopping to the side use a bungy cord around the shift/throttle handle and the steering wheel if you have cable steering or the steering clamps if you have hydraulic.
    This...I have pulled thousands of miles using the trailer flip down bracket. Why would I want to mess with a cumbersome transom saver when there is a built in bracket that is 10 times easier to use. That design has been around for 20 plus years. If it was a bad design it would have showed up over the last 20 plus years. Only draw back is the motor will turn. As ChampioNman said you can use steering clips if you have hydraulic steering or bungee cords if you have cable steering to keep the motor from turning.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Get yourself a motormate and be done with it.

8. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    I use transom saver, except when like Erie fishing, and just driving back and forth to room and lake then ,just brackets