Ranger Trailer 05 185vx - Flat Bracket Weld Defect...another one bites the dust

I read through an older BBC thread about this weld 'defect'. I am the 2nd owner of this 2005 185vx. I'm lucky the flat bracket snapped on me backing into my port and not on the road. I've seen many replace the whole axle. I have a few welding buddies who mentioned they can custom make a bracket to remedy the problem.
    It's clear in these two photos that even the other side that did NOT break - needs replacing.
    I just want to know what would be the best SAFEST solution without buying a whole new non-defect trailer? Thank you.

2. Member
    I had a welder fix mine - new axle from Ranger with the reinforced bracket was $500...

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rivertrail View Post
    I had a welder fix mine - new axle from Ranger with the reinforced bracket was $500...
    Thanks - I talked to Ranger yesterday and they said $650, I think. But, I'm wondering if they would do the same deal (Free - compensation for the danger of driving around with a defected set of brackets they used) for those who had the SAME problem just sooner than mine (only because the 1st owner, I am the 2nd owner) did not use it for 2-3 years due to back injury.

4. Member
    I had to replace mine back in the fall. One other thing to consider is if your torsion arms are sagging. Mine had torsion sag and would let the tire rub the fender. If there are tire rub marks on the fender you may need a new axle as well.
    One other note, talk to Ranger customer service , not parts, about getting some assistance with replacement. They let me have an axle at cost. It was cheaper than buying an aftermarket. Also came with Ranger road armor coating.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Netweid1 View Post
    I had to replace mine back in the fall. One other thing to consider is if your torsion arms are sagging. Mine had torsion sag and would let the tire rub the fender. If there are tire rub marks on the fender you may need a new axle as well.
    One other note, talk to Ranger customer service , not parts, about getting some assistance with replacement. They let me have an axle at cost. It was cheaper than buying an aftermarket. Also came with Ranger road armor coating.
    Thanks for the heads up! My tires don't show any signs of wear or rub, so I might be safe there. I emailed those pictures in the top post to Sam Wilson and I'm hoping to get the same treatment as adamsj13did back in February 2015 …

"If you do notice rust around the welds it would be best to pull the road armor back to confirm. Most likely if you see any rust marks there will be a crack. if you find any cracks, take pictures and call ranger and talk to Sam Wilson. I'm second owner of my 05 z20 and he still sent me an axle free of charge. It took me about 3 - 4 hrs to install. Good luck hope you dint find anything."

I left Sam a message and will hopefully talk to him real soon so I can get a new axle (with the new reinforced brackets pre-welded) ASAP. In the meantime, I have a few ironworker buddies who can custom make a driver's side bracket and reinforce the passenger side bracket. I'll update once I speak to him.

6. Member
    My brackets broke just like you pictures on the axle side. My trailer side brackets were ok. Several folks have problems on both sides. I keep a check on mine now.

7. Member
    New brackets can be purchased relatively cheap, cut off old ones, weld on new, bolt up a new axle, bleed brakes and go fishing.

BTW, I gave Thayer's a new complete axle that I got from Ranger, for my 05' 519 single axle trailer a couple weeks ago when I traded it all in.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    Sam Wilson did me a solid and offered to send out a new axle with the new reinforced brackets if I paid for shipping. That worked for me. He did mention that it was the axle that was the problem, not just the brackets?!?! So, both my brackets and my axle, whichever caused the problem, will be taken out and replaced. I'll have the new axle in about 3 and a half weeks. Until then, I'm going to try to get my welding buddies to build a custom bracket for the snapped side and reinforce the passenger side. They'll be coming over this weekend. I'll take some photos. This will allow me to use the boat for the next three and half weeks or however long it will take to get the axle and install it. I might be a little apprehensive about driving around on it, but I think it will be okay.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    New brackets can be purchased relatively cheap, cut off old ones, weld on new, bolt up a new axle, bleed brakes and go fishing.

BTW, I gave Thayer's a new complete axle that I got from Ranger, for my 05' 519 single axle trailer a couple weeks ago when I traded it all in.
    Ranger parts told me the brackets I needed were not sold individually - they came pre-welded to the new axle. I might be switching from Reynold's to Thayers, so that's good to know they have an extra just in case.