Banned

Why distilled water for batteries?

And not just tap water?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Member
    Tap water contains a lot of impurities.

No minerals, or way less. U could use purified water that has been run thru filters too. But not all bottled water is purified of minerals
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    As tap water evaporates in the battery, the dissolved minerals (more or less depending on hardness) are left behind and can accumulate on the plates. Distilled water has had these dissolved minerals removed.

5. Member
    That accumulation can eventually grow and when the two large plates now touch.....well the top of the battery blows off in a violent explosion. I used to service generators and seen it happen a few times.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Same reason your mom used Distilled water in the steam iron, no minerals in the water to clog up the steam outlets.

7. Member
    Dosen't seem to matter really. The important thing is to keep water in the battery. 50 years of using tap water with no issues.

8. Member
    Only use tap water and my batteries tend to last 4-5 years. Might make a difference if one only has high mineral well water.

9. Member
    Will tap water make it blow up? Probably not. But it does reduce the lifespan and make the battery work harder. Is it really worth the 1$ gallon of distilled water?

No minerals

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Will tap water make it blow up? Probably not. But it does reduce the lifespan and make the battery work harder. Is it really worth the 1$ gallon of distilled water?
    Unless you're over charging your batteries, 1 gallon will last a couple of seasons. Only a couple ounces per cell at the most. $1 per year is cheap insurance. Use your wife's distilled water for her iron. She'll never know...
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

12. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I always use distilled water when I need to add to a battery. On the other hand, I worked at a golf course for a couple of years while I lived in Alabama. The factory rep from the golf cart company told us it made no difference. We used tap water right out of the hose to top off the cart batteries. Most of them lasted 6-7 years before they needed to be replaced. Those batteries got a lot of use 365 days a year those carts were in use.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.