Thread: Gatorbak XP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Bass Cats must be power loaded, and sometime power to launch. Can this be done with this new material?
    I have a Cat too, that why I asked earlier. good question from Barbarian as well, regarding wear over time when we power load.

2. mikesxpress
    You folks with the Bass Cats have an entirely different problem that would need corrected before you could put Gatorbak's on. The trailer itself. Your boats only sit on 4 contact points on the trailer and two of those points are sharp edges created by that anti-porposing wedge BCB puts on at the transom. (You can push a pencil between the carpet and hull in the center) This wedge cuts thru your carpet to the boards and it would do the same to Gatorbak bunks. These bunks are NOT for you.

3. Member
    I don’t have a Basscat

4. mikesxpress
    What do you have?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    You folks with the Bass Cats have an entirely different problem that would need corrected before you could put Gatorbak's on. The trailer itself. Your boats only sit on 4 contact points on the trailer and two of those points are sharp edges created by that anti-porposing wedge BCB puts on at the transom. (You can push a pencil between the carpet and hull in the center) This wedge cuts thru your carpet to the boards and it would do the same to Gatorbak bunks. These bunks are NOT for you.

Yep! Thats why I questioned whether a BCB could use the GatorBaks. They leave a groove in the carpet where the lip sits on the rear of the bunks. BCB puts two layers of carpet to protect the hull. Also power loading it may tear the Gatorbak.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Member
    The video shows the Ranger being power loaded with the outside bunks just barely under water. That's about as severe as I would ever get. So yes.
    A BCB is power loaded way harder than that. That Ranger was basically idle loaded. It needed power for the last 6 inches. The way the trailer is designed at the bow, loading that shallow would cause the nose to be below the bow roller. Trailer has to be out the water a bit more. Its pretty much idle on like the Ranger till it settles, than hammer down till its the tie down ring hits the bow roller.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

7. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Yep! Thats why I questioned whether a BCB could use the GatorBaks. They leave a groove in the carpet where the lip sits on the rear of the bunks. BCB puts two layers of carpet to protect the hull. Also power loading it may tear the Gatorbak.
    The BCB trailers guys are relegated to replacement of carpet based on the design of the hull and trailer configuration. The trailer in its existing format doesn't support the hull the entire length. Just on 4 contact points. Some have modified the trailer rear bracket attachment and cut the bunk end so that cresent doesn't rest on the bunk. It ends up just behind the end of the bunk. This also allows the hull to be fully supported the entire length of the trailer with some shimming on the other brackets. BCB also tried the pillow top bunks for a short time and that cresent just cut right thru it resulting in guys needing to put a band aide there.

8. Member
    Pillow block ate into the gelcoat. BCB replaced my bunks and fixed the gelcoat under warranty.
    The rear hull lip doesn't contact the bunks until the trailer is pulled forward after loading. I was more concerned with the new Gatorbak wearing into the gelcoat while loading or wearing prematurely due to power loading.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

9. mikesxpress
    Donald with the BCB trailer your stuck with carpet. While the XP is designed for power loading your cresent will cut thru it and the lack of even pressure contact the full length of the bunks will have the same gelcoat wear results as you experienced with the pillow top. That gap between the contact points doesn't have much effect with the carpet barley touching but with a harder material it will cause road vibration scuffing to the point of wearing the gelcoat.

10. Member
    My 2016 Puma has Gatorbaks on the trailer. I powerload and have never had any issues.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    My 2016 Puma has Gatorbaks on the trailer. I powerload and have never had any issues.
    How long have you had them on there? I've got a 16 Cougar (same hull). That was one of the reason I was looking at these because of having to power(unload), when I fish by myself. Loading ain't bad.
    2016 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownmaniac View Post
    How long have you had them on there? I've got a 16 Cougar (same hull). That was one of the reason I was looking at these because of having to power(unload), when I fish by myself. Loading ain't bad.
    They were on there when I bought the boat in November of 2016, so 2.5 years.
    I can back mine in deep enough for it to float, or slide, off, but I do powerload most of the time.

13. Member
    Can this be installed over the existing carpet? or do I have to remove the old carpet on fairly new bunks? ranger trailer circa 2005
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

14. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    Can this be installed over the existing carpet? or do I have to remove the old carpet on fairly new bunks? ranger trailer circa 2005
    they go on the bare boards, its easier to get new boards, install the Gatorbaks at home, go to the ramp and do a quick swap of the bunks.

Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    You may want to jack the boat using the rear of the pad and check the hull. I could see how it was leaving scratches on my hull from power loading. Once I jacked it up, it had worn into the gel coat, and in some places the glass was exposed. Yours may not have this issue, but its best to make sure. Also BCB just posted on Gatorbaks and their (BCB) desire to find a drier product in lieu of carpet.
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...ic_read=674890
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

16. Member
    Donald with the BCB trailer your stuck with carpet. While the XP is designed for power loading your cresent will cut thru it and the lack of even pressure contact the full length of the bunks will have the same gelcoat wear results as you experienced with the pillow top. That gap between the contact points doesn't have much effect with the carpet barley touching but with a harder material it will cause road vibration scuffing to the point of wearing the gelcoat.
    Mike
    Thanks for your input.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

So would not work on a Nitro either, my lifting strakes rest on the boards now.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

18. mikesxpress
    Bryan does the strake leave intentions in the carpet and is it just your Z21 like that? Do have any pictures?

What’s this stuff like with riveted aluminum boats? I’m likely gonna need to replace my carpet in the next year or so and am interested in the Gatorbaks. I don’t ever need to power load with my boat, just drive it or float it gently on and easily winch it up the last foot or so, so I’m not sure if this stuff is better/worse, or the same as carpet.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

20. Member
    Are the "kits" required, needed, beneficial? Are there any advantages to the end caps? If i looked on gatorbacks site correctly, the clear and other colors are the same price?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast