Battery watering systems - who is using one?

My compartment space is small. I have 3 group 31s. I cannot check or fill water without taking them out. PITA ! I'm looking at water fill systems. Most likely the Flow-Rite Qwik-Fill. Anyone with experience with this or other systems?

2. Member
    I have that situation in my Lund 2025. The second set of batteries was AGM. I was not aware watering system existed then. Have seen them advertised and sounds like they will work. Bob

3. Banned
    I use a mustard bottle with a hose attached to add water. Luckily i can see the levels pretty easy. If you get to much water in you can use the bottle to suck some out.

I checked in to them. They wont fit my Sam's Club Duracell 31DC's. The battery vents need to be a specific offset and plug in vents not screw in like mine. Plus if compartment is small meaning liited height, they probably won't fit. I believe you need 1 3/4" minimum.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

5. Member

I’ve got them on my batteries. They work great.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHECrappie View Post
    I’ve got them on my batteries. They work great.
    How tall are they from the top of the battery? I have limited top space. My caps are inset a 1/4 in and flat openings. Will they press in?

20190519_074255 - Edited.jpg

8. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Might consider:

1)calcium lead acid (commercial) batteries as their chemistry does not consume water during their normal life. Plan though on replacing them on more of a regular basis than common marine lead acid batteries.

2)AGMs

Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    My compartment space is small. I have 3 group 31s. I cannot check or fill water without taking them out. PITA ! I'm looking at water fill systems. Most likely the Flow-Rite Qwik-Fill. Anyone with experience with this or other systems?
    Proving my ignorance one more time, don’t you still need to know what the water/acid level is? I’ve been using a large lab syringe to to top off my Trojan batteries with distilled water. Not all cells are the same level.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    Proving my ignorance one more time, don’t you still need to know what the water/acid level is? I’ve been using a large lab syringe to to top off my Trojan batteries with distilled water. Not all cells are the same level.
    There are several systems out there. Not sure which are best. Most have a float that stops the water flow when you reach the correct fill point. Made specifically to allow filling of lead/acid batteries that are in remote and/or difficult to reach places.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    Trojan has these watering systems for their batteries. I have never seen them in action and thought they were for different type applications.

12. Member
    I'm serious. I bought two Everstart 29's three or more years ago. They have never needed a drop of water. They have never gone dead (80# Minnkota).

13. Member
    If the battery is never overcharged you will seldom or never need to add fluid. With the proper charger for a particular battery and it is not an issue. That does not mean you never have to check. The trick is to charge at the recommended charge rate till 100% and cease or at least do not have a higher than recommended float. Bob

14. Member
    Installed this today. Fits well, tight to the battery and fills easily with the pump bulb. Most of the water went to fill the lines. Batteries did not need much but now I can ensure they are filled without removing them.

Flow-Rite - Edited.png

Quote Originally Posted by Cabela10 View Post
    Trojan has these watering systems for their batteries. I have never seen them in action and thought they were for different type applications.
    You learn something everyday by asking stupid questions.

https://www.thesolarbiz.com/trojan-h...4aAjM2EALw_wcB
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

16. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Remember watering systems will freeze/bust in freezing temps.

17. Member
    Not an issue for me here in Arizona, but cold weather areas, yes.

18. Member
    Good point! Maybe that's why I never heard about them before I moved south. Another plus for AGM or Lithium. But then again Lithium can't be charged below freezing temps either. Life is never simple. Scottsdale seldom gets below freezing though. Bob