Retired my 05 evinrude di, replaced w/new 2018 E-Tec 150. Set up question

2005 Triton Tr-186 with a 2018 E-Tec 150.
    Old set up.
    2005 evinrude di 150hp. No jackplate, mounted all the way up. Ran renegade 4 blade 23 pitch prop. Amazing set up. Hole shot was quick. Could grip in any turn. Top gps speed was 59.2mph. Solo and normal load.
    New set up is a work in progress.
    Still no jack plate, mounted all the way up. Currently running same old prop.
    Results were, same hole shot. Cant go over 40mph and trim down in turns or prop breaks free or slips badly. Did a WOT once. It slipped a cpl times (felt like i hit a patch ice. It did hit 59.8mph gps at 5200-5300 rpms.
    I did borrow a friends raker 2 brand new prop. No plugs. Wouldn't get the boat up. Prop would just blow out.
    Hes out of town for a cpl wks. But when he comes back, he's letting me borrow his raker 2 props again. A 22 and the 24 (i have plugs now) again.
    Do these E-tecs have a prop they like/preform better with?
    Any input would be helpful.
    Thank you

Outboards of all makes are no longer designated by year, only by model number. What is yours?
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    E150DGLAB

4. Banned
    Motor height could be an issue

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    Motor height could be an issue
    Why?

Sounds like you need more prop with all the low end torque that G2 has. I bet you could spin a 25P pretty easy, get the current 4 blade and let her eat!!
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Prop to pad is 4". Which is the same as the old di was. I understand the new motor has a different power curve. As for speed and hole shot. Its about the same. The old di max rpm, for that motor was 5250rpms. And in cold water it ran 5200rpms.
    This new E-TEC range is 5500-6000rpms. I dont want it at the absolute max.
    My main concern is the sliding in any turn and a little at wot. Dealer, doesnt sell boats, doesnt think a jack plate and raising motor will solve it. I'm going to try the raker 2 22" & 24" nxt wk. See how it performs.
    Once i get those results back. Hopefully we can get some where. (Dealer doesn't have spare props to try. Mainly a small hp marine)
    What causes slip in turns? And sporadic at wot?

8. Member
    The raker 2 props are my friends. IDK anyone that has the new 4 blades on there boat.