Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cougar FTD Suzuki Repower

I am re-powering my 08 Cougar FTD with a Suzuki 250 SS. Can anyone point me in the right direction for props with this setup? I will be running an 8" jack plate with dual power poles and I offset the weight with a Lithium Pro 36v battery.

Thank you in advance
    Bill

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=976740
    I'm sure there are many success stories with the Suzuki, but this is not one of those. Kevin can probably tell you what prop has worked for him.

3. Member
    If you are going with a Suzuki branded prop, go with a 4 bladed-14.5 x 27P or 28P pitched prop and then get it blue printed since they inconsistent from my experience with them on my 06 Puma w/250SS. The prop that I found that works best is an older Suzuki prop which is similar to the current Turbo OT4 prop. The Turbo OT4 prop is an over and thru exhaust style which has taller rakes and a smaller barrel. The hole shot is pretty good with it and I have better top end compared to the current Suzuki style props for whatever reason. Here's one for sale in the prop section: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=978788

In regards as the reliability of a Suzuki, I haven't had an issue yet for the 2 years that I've own mine. Luckily, I have a great Suzuki dealer in my area and is familiar with my boat since he was the one who repowered it.
    Last edited by booter; 05-23-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

Thank you guys

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    In regards as the reliability of a Suzuki, I haven't had an issue yet for the 2 years that I've own mine. Luckily, I have a great Suzuki dealer in my area and is familiar with my boat since he was the one who repowered it.
    I don't think it is the reliability of the motor that is in question but rather the reliability of the customer service IF there is a problem with the motor. All engine manufacturers have issues and its how they handle those issues that is key!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    I don't think it is the reliability of the motor that is in question but rather the reliability of the customer service IF there is a problem with the motor. All engine manufacturers have issues and its how they handle those issues that is key!
    I agree that every brand has it's problems and every brand has had customer service nightmares over the years. I have lived throgh one and I have many friends who have lived through nightmares from all of the breeds of motors. I had an 05 Direct Inject Evinrude that never ran right and it stranded me on a couple of occasions and having run wiring diagnostics on class 8 semi tractors I knew it was all electronic and wiring. Evinrude and that dealer, who is no longer in business, kicked the can until I finally sold the motor and re-powered. Funny thing is the next owner never had an issue with that motor, obviously had a better dealership rig it, and I re-powered with an Etec, that my current go to dealership rigged, that I never had an issue with. The Suzuki dealer I am working with knows my boat very well and has had my business for 12 years. They have been honest and straight forward with pricing and getting things finished when it comes to repairs of any kind. We had a long discussion about this purchase and the pros and cons and I guess we will see how it goes.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    I know and I feel Kevin's frustration as well with his local dealer and Suzuki corporate. He originally went in having electrical issues to being diagnosed with overheating issues, but the technician couldn't find the problem. IMHO about Kevin's situation, the regional Suzuki tech who has been working on his motor is incompetent and the dealer he goes to wants nothing to do with it because they weren't the ones who originally rigged the boat and they are taking the bath on the warranty work for someone's poor rigging job. That's what sucks when buying anything used, from cars to boats, you don't know the history of it and how poor the previous owner treated it.

8. Member
    I agree about Kevin's situation, he has certainly handled it better than me. I'm not a fan of any motor over the other to be honest, I am currently running a Merc and am leaning heavy towards a G2 on my next boat. Suzuki was also high on the list until the last 6 months. What good is a warranty when the company wont back it?

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

9. Member
    According to Suzuki in another thread Bass Cat does not design there boats for a 4 stroke motor ask BassCatKev.

10. Member
    Last edited by booter; 05-26-2019 at 06:01 AM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ameneddie View Post
    According to Suzuki in another thread Bass Cat does not design there boats for a 4 stroke motor ask BassCatKev.
    Suzuki is WRONG! The new Merc V8 and SHO say otherwise!
    I believe this issue was more of dealer with a inexperienced and probably not factory trained technician.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

The technician that said that has been solidly managed by the upper management of the engine company.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The technician that said that has been solidly managed by the upper management of the engine company.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Haha that’s funny stuff.

15. Member
    Biggest bunch of BS that I have ever heard. My new Cat with a 4 banger says otherwise
    Suzuki just trying to deflect responsibility
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Member
    Yeah Kevin’s deal is extremely unfortunate. After following his story and how Suzuki is handling his situation, I can say I’d be scared to own one. They way they’ve handled the situation is just plain wrong

17. Member
    What? BCB is in big trouble then with the 4 stroke mania that is upon us! :)

Kevin’s situation has a good set of eyes on it now, and if the issues are those of Suzuki’s they will be handled.

BCB

19. Member
    Wouldn't touch a Suzuki...because of kevs problems!

Update on the re-power. Break in went very well and it was fun spending 10 hours relearning how to drive my boat. The motor has tons of low end and mid-range torque and rips our out of the hole very efficiently. It also is a joy to drive in big water because of the torque and lift of a 4 blade 29 Suzuki prop. So far I am down a bit overall on top end speed, 72 mph @ 6200 rpm full fuel wells empty, full wells 3/4 fuel 68. The old motor was a solid 74 mph in good conditions across the board and if I chose to drive on the ragged edge 77 to 78. I have not pushed the ragged edge with the current setup. I was running a 3 blade 27 Fury on an Etech 250 for comparison. These are all acceptable numbers by my standards but I will continue to look for a prop to get me a bit more on the top end but where I live and fish I rarely get to run like this for very long. I am getting used to how quiet this motor runs and also looking at a digital readout is a bit different. The only thing so far I have been a bit disappointed in is the digital trim gauge. Currently with the digital gauge either shows all the way down or all the way up no matter where I am at within the adjustment range. I do not know if this is a setting issue or the just the way it is. I'm hoping for it just being a setting issue and worse case I can have the dealer set it back to analog and use the analog gauge which is a minor nuisance.

Overall I am pleased with my choice to go with Suzuki. My dealer Team Marine Service has been fantastic helping me get props and additional equipment around for this upgrade. I pulled my old Detwiler off and put an Atlas on it, upgraded the radio and a few other things I need to get upgraded with the switch over.

If you are ever in Lacrosse WI and need something done to your rig give Andy and his crew over at Team Marine a call. They are the best in the area at what they do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast