Thread: Boat advice

Boat advice

I'm looking for a versatile hull that can be run in everything from shallow coastal brackish marsh rivers such as around New Orleans as well as fishing comfortably offshore on big water like Lake Berryessa in California. I'm active duty Coast Guard and move around every couple years so whichever hull I end up with needs to be versatile enough to be adapted to where ever Uncle Sam sends me. I'm also a big boy at 6'4" and 240lbs so some seat room is also a consideration. I don't have a huge gut or anything but the leg room is definitely something to consider with my 34" inseam.Originally I was looking at the Pantera 2 with a 200hp Merc 4 Stroke but I'm wondering if the Caracal wouldn't be a better fit for me. I would assume there's around a $10,000 difference in moving from the Pantera 2 into a Caracal but there are lots of "upgrades" that are standard on the Caracal. The other thing that I like on the Caracal is the option of a padded front deck. My current Ranger doesn't have a padded deck or a recessed trolling motor pedal and my lower back get's to hurting pretty good after a few hours up front. I'd like to think that the combination of a recessed foot pedal and a padded deck will help with that big time!So what says the BCB Brain Trust? Is the PII versatile enough or is the Caracal the better option and worth the extra cost?

Really is a pick your fav deck design. You might really do better with the puma/cougar hull for total versatility. I have a Jag and fish around New Orleans brackish marsh and bays all the time. Does great on Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn too.

3. Member
    Be careful getting a bassboat as compared to a intracoastal or boat rigged for saltwater I talked to guys who took their regular bassboats in the salt and had major corrosion issues with wiring dash panels ECT. Basscat used to make a nice bay boat Bay Cat center console just hard to find them used. Maybe they changed bassboats to work in the salt but I would look into it.

I was a guide and went through 3 saltwater boats, take it from me, if you want to fish salt get a saltwater boat with aluminum trailer. There is a ton of detail work under the skin. Bass cat used to make a bay boat but i cant say if they still do.

LOL Guess I need to clarify that one. Definitely not looking to run the boat in the salt. I live in South Carolina now on the Cooper River. It runs from basically my house down to the ocean so it's brackish water. Same as the California Delta and the marshes around New Orleans. It's more fresh than salt even though the species that live in either tend to mix in the middle.

I got the aluminum trailer. As far as the hull it does just fine. I put marine grease on all the electrical connections and have had zero issues. Additionally, wash the entire rig after a trip in brackish water. I have had the painted trailers and they are a nightmare in that water. The new classic is also worth a look. I rode in one it it was very impressive on a choppy lake.

I couldn't do the Classic due to fuel capacity issues. I like the wide body on the classic and the looks of it. I wish there were a few more options available on it though. I'm an electronics technician by trade so "corrosion protection" isn't an issue. I've got that part covered! The aluminum trailer is a good call though! I lived in Chalmette back during 2002-2006. I saw plenty of issues with the painted trailers from the boys that I tournament fished against out of Caernarvon and Delacroix!

8. Member
    I believe overall you will be very satisfied with the Caracal. The Pantera II would do slightly better in the shallows, but for versatility, from fuel capacity, storage, big water, shallow, the Caracal is the best choice. Especially if your staying within a budget. The Caracal is smartly priced.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs