Fast Strike propping/RPM

High everyone, I have a 1997 Fast Strike 150 and it seems that I have read several different opinions on where it should be propped for wide open throttle. Currently I'm turning about 5900-6000 and have had times when the water was nice and things were clicking that it has hit 6100 rpm. Am I in danger of destroying my motor running 5-10 miles at that speed? I have seen a few people say they prefer to prop it to run around 5600 I believe but I feel like that would hurt my hole shot quite a bit.

2. Banned
    5500 is as high as I would go. I have a shop manual and 5500 is the top end for a 1999 faststrike 150

3. Member
    a Fastrike makes most of its torque at 5200 rpms- so unless you have a real lite boat, that is where you need to be. I run a 1998 on a Triton TR18 at 5250 rpm, terrific hole shot, and 63 mph top end
    DAVID HIGHTOWER
    CARTERSVILLE, GA.
    1998 TRITON TR-18
    EVINRUDE G2 150 HO

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The correct operating range for your motor is 4500-5500 with the HP rated at 5000 RPM, if your tach is correct, you are close to bumping the Rev limiter of the power pack. That's at 6100 RPM, hit it once and you'll know why they call it a Rev limiter. Prop it as David says for the 5250-5500 Rpm range.

5. Member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I guess I'll be looking for a bigger prop then. I've been running a 26 Trophy that I really like and I have a 27 Renegade but it has more slip and won't really carry the boat as well so I was planning to sell it and get a smaller prop for pulling the kids on the tube and such. Sounds like I may need to try a 28 and until I do I should probably not really string out the 26.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I think your tach is lying to you.....JMHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I think your tach is lying to you.....JMHO
    It could be but I'm not sure how to verify how accurate it is. I think it is pretty well on though.
    The last couple times I have really looked closely at the tach and gps at the same time was 26 Trophy, 6000 rpm, 69.5 mph which should be about 12% slip
    the other was 27 Renegade, 6100 rpm, 72.4 mph, which should be about 14% slip.
    I'm running an Allison XB 2003 and both of those runs were fully loaded with gear and myself at just under 300 lbs so it seems like that's about where it should be. I was planning on bringing the motor up a couple inches with the Trophy but I was worried I was already running too many RPMs, sounds like I would of hit a limiter if I had tried.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can compare it to a shop's known good test tach. How's the WP on that thing? You could get either of them worked to a different pitch but you know that already.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You can compare it to a shop's known good test tach. How's the WP on that thing? You could get either of them worked to a different pitch but you know that already.
    I hadn’t thought about running it at a shop, I may try that before I start swapping props just to be sure. I’ve never had a prop worked, would that be cheaper than buying a used prop? I don’t have a water pressure gauge, it’s on my to do list but when I’m running the motor cools down quick and runs a lot cooler than when idling. I have a Bob’s nosecone on it so I could raise it, made it much easier to drive.

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I would look into seeing how accurate your tach is and go from there ,5500 should get you where you want to be and about right mph also
    Last edited by twitch; 05-24-2019 at 06:40 AM.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I'd like to know what hull you're spinning those big wheels on.....Most rigs with the 150's are 18- 18-5 and turning 5500 with 23-24 p props....

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I'd like to know what hull you're spinning those big wheels on.....Most rigs with the 150's are 18- 18-5 and turning 5500 with 23-24 p props....
    Allison XB 2003, 20ft boat. When I got it there was a 24 Raker on it and it spun up really fast. The last owner had the motor buried 6.5 inches below the pad and it was a bear to drive. Once I raised it up and started playing with props it’s been a lot more fun.