Tempest vs Bravo 21 PHX

250pro xs 4 stroke. 21phx 4 batteries and 8ft talons. Enough tackle to rival a Bass Pro shops. Ran some Trophy props, and a Fury. Tempest is the fastest out of them. Hole shot is never a problem with this 4stroke, it is a beast. Tempest "feels" good, responsive with plenty of lift and acceleration.

Do you guys think, it would be worth trying a Bravo? Anything to gain there? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    On my 721 I really liked the tempest better than the bravo. The bravo wasnt good in any chop and rode bad. It was quick though, it got to 73 in a heartbeat but would beat your brains out doing it. I had Josh at Steve's custom props work a 26 tempest that runs pretty dang good. Not quite as good as my t1 but really close

3. Member
    what kind of speed you seeing with the tempest on the phx and what pitch and rpms. always up for trying something different on my 921. have only ran the 24 fury 3 and a 24 scorpion so far

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clinebj22 View Post
    what kind of speed you seeing with the tempest on the phx and what pitch and rpms. always up for trying something different on my 921. have only ran the 24 fury 3 and a 24 scorpion so far
    My #s will be irrelevant to most on here due to the fact that most of my testing is @ high elevation. (Above 5280ft). But my 22 pitch Tempest is running 66mph @ 6050rpm.

I have seen 74mph with 23 fury closer to sea level. But have limited testing.

5. Member
    I tried a tempest on a pro XS 2 stroke and got 3-4 mph slower with a slight gain in handling at 1000 ft elevation compared to fury. 4 stroke is a different animal though.

6. Member
    Just ordered a 23" Bravo from Rothwell Marine. Good discount for BBC members! We will see how it does. I am going to have to sell off a few props.

7. Member
    23" is going to be too low of pitch in my opinion. That's a cupped 22p.

A 23 Bravo will spin about the equivalent RPM of a 22 Tempest...

9. Member
    So thought I would give a update. Ran the Bravo today. Bravo runs well, second fastest prop next to the Tempest. Gives up only 1 mph to the Tempest. Killer mid range! Good hole shot. Runs @ 17 on the Atlas, vs the Tempest runs @ 9, the Trophys ran about 11 or 12. The Tempest still lifts better, and makes the boat feel lighter.

One thing I noticed the other day is that I have never been able to over trim the boat at Max speed. In other words, on other boats I have had if I trimmed all the way to Max at WOT I would loose a little speed. Fastest speed was always just a couple bumps down from Max. This is not the case on this boat. I wonder if the boat could use some transom wedges to achieve a little extra trim. Any Thoughts?

10. Member
    Out of curiousity, How did the Scorpion run on your rig? I suspect it did not give you enough RPM since they run very stiff but wondering minds want to know.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littleluk View Post
    Out of curiousity, How did the Scorpion run on your rig? I suspect it did not give you enough RPM since they run very stiff but wondering minds want to know.

Must have me confused with someone else. Never ran a Scorpion.

12. Member
    Sorry RockyScout. It was Clinebj22 that mentioned running a Scorpion. I was curios since it was a large diamater T-1 inspired prop.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littleluk View Post
    Sorry RockyScout. It was Clinebj22 that mentioned running a Scorpion. I was curios since it was a large diamater T-1 inspired prop.
    No prob ��

14. Member
    the scorpion ran well on the boat but didn't have near the rpms it needed. had some pretty swift current in the river that day. ran 71mph up river and 76.2 down river at 5750 rpms on my 19 921 pro xp with the 250 merc 4 stroke. it was a heavy cupped 24 pitch scorpion I had left over from my skeeter with a sho. need a 23 or even a 22 scorpion to get my rpms where I need them.

15. Member
    Ok guys, thought I would share results with the transom wedges installed. Ordered TH marine 5 deg positive shims. Definitely needed extra trim. Picked up another couple mph with both props. The boat lifts alot better. Max speed is now a couple bumps down on the trim. Very satisfying test run today. Thought I would share because if other PHX owners are having to run Max trim, they may benefit as well. I do know that after about 71+ you will have to drive, especially with extra trim. Now I think I need to go one pitch up on the prop because it's running right at the rev limiter. So maybe there is a little more left in her.
    Last edited by RockYScouT; 06-10-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Got me interested in these transom wedges. I get pretty good lift on my 21 PHX with fury 4, never tried Bravo or tempest, fury 3 blade i cannot get enough lift to get any speed (66 MPH average loaded).

17. Member
    My guess is that if you have to run with your trim maxxed out at WOT, you could probably benefit from some more trim.