Considering hooking the oil side of the VRO back up?

I have never ran the oil side of the VRO. It has been capped off for several years. The new hull i bought came with a blown motor with the oil tank in place. I am considering hooking it up on my motor. It sure would be nice not to have to measure out oil every refill.

Does anyone forsee any issues with this? Is there anything to it other then taking the cap off and hooking up the oil hose?

I saw in the manual the clear tube oiler test procedure. Is that all I need to do?

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Need to test the alarms on both the oil tank harness and the VRO pump to make sure they sound/Light off. Simple to do, make up a jumper wire and connect one end into the tan wire on each harness and turn the key to on and ground the jumper the now oil should illuminate along with the chirp when plugged into the VRO harness. And the same for the oil tank.
    Keep running the premix in your gas tank, until you verify oil delivery from the tank. The clear hose test will verify that the oil side is operational, but prior to use, you should remove the sending unit from the oil tank, clean the screen and remove the oil that is in it to verify no contaminates in it. Fill with fresh oil and pump the primer bulb on the oil tank to purge any air out of the oil line. Have a friend pump the oil bulb while you slide the hose on to the fitting while your friend continues to pump the bulb. Secure with a ratchet clamp. Make graduated marks on the oil tank so it will show levels of oil use on your tank.

Excellent response. Thank you...

You also have to make sure that the oil tanks are compatible with your electrical system. Earlier than 1996 is different than '96 and later.

Be sure to run the oil alarm test and the oil consumption test and be sure 50:1 fuel mix is being used before determining the pump is working as it should. Follow the factory manual or instruction sheets and genuine factory parts, clamps, and hoses.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

After I complete all of that, should I still pre-mix my fuel tank and double oil the first time out on the lake just to be cautious?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    You also have to make sure that the oil tanks are compatible with your electrical system. Earlier than 1996 is different than '96 and later.

Be sure to run the oil alarm test and the oil consumption test and be sure 50:1 fuel mix is being used before determining the pump is working as it should. Follow the factory manual or instruction sheets and genuine factory parts, clamps, and hoses.
    yes premix at least the first tank

Premix until you see that the motor is consuming oil out of the tank correctly, at least a burn 1/2 tank of oil to make sure
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !