Thread: New Sterling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Sterling

Just picked my Sterling up last week. 2017 250 Pro XS. Ran it the first time early this morning at 65 degrees. 78.5 with 26 Fury 4...... 27 Trophy Plus a very disappointing 73.2 Both props turning about 6050. Have a 28 Bravo on the way. Do you have a suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I should have mentioned that is with 60% gas and 5 Odyssey batteries that will be coming out for Lithium Pros

Somthing sounds off on that trophy. I did not like a fury on mine. Had to be ran deeper in the water and not as stable driving at wot. That 28 Bravo you have coming is the ticket.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

yeah that trophy is always gonna be faster than the fury....
    and if you were able to turn a 27 trphy 6000, you would be seeing 79-80, (especially with no trolling motor) unless you had it too high causing alot of prop slip, and probally just cracked a blade...

congrats on the new boat! she is gorgious
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

5. Member
    I agree 100% on the Trophy. I expected 80 after the Fury ran like it did. I was shocked the Trophy ran so bad. It has been in the box since I got it back from Mark. I am going to get my 2100 out of the shop right now. Im gonna pull a known good Trophy off of it and run the Sterling again.

6. Member
    ran it 3.25 to 3.5

Anywhere between 3-4 should be about right. My 27 fury ran better a tick lower.

To be fair though i had a diff lower unit being it was on a Yamaha. Might not translate quite the same.

9. Member
    I saw this Sterling for sale a while back. It is one of only a few that make my short list of preferred color schemes. I am curious to know the story on it. Where was it? Where are you? Congrats on a beautiful boat.

I’d like to see a pic of your 2100, too.

10. Member
    The boat was in New Orleans. There is another LA Sterling about the same color that is still on the internet in some off site for sale but the ad was about 5 years old when I called about it two years ago. Not sure which one you saw. I found this one "from a guy that knows a guy".There is a picture of the 2100 on a recent thread wrapped. I had to replace a computer recently and cant find a good picture of it right now but here is one that shows the color package. The boat may be for sale about Aug.

11. Member

forgot the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    After three months of sitting under cover, today I finally ran the boat with the 28 Bravo XS (8 holes). Frustrated. I completely plugged the 4 front plugs. 80.7 MPH in 85 degree water and air temps. Impressive; HOWEVER.....with 3.35 JP, full down trim and tabs....it WILL NOT get on plane. To get on plane I have to go JP, trim and tabs full down, nurse the heck out of it and then like that it takes forevr to break over. Before I do any thing to it or put a 4 sale sign on it I wanted to see what you all recommend. I dont expect it to get up as quick as my 2100 but this is way too much of a drop off. I have to be doing something wrong.???????

13. Member
    I have a SHO and the same pro-with 2 holes plugged a 2 medium plugs.Trim less than 1/4 down and about 4 seconds down on the tabs with a rolling start bow lifts some then the rear end lifts and its up. I start coming up with the tabs pretty quick once I'm in the gas. If I go too far down with the tabs or keep them down too long it seems to fight and drag the boat pretty bad, its a timing thing.

14. Member
    Thanks.....will play with the tabs some tommorrow

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerpilot View Post
    Thanks.....will play with the tabs some tommorrow
    Use only two solid plugs in prop, six holes wide open

16. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Wait till you replace those batteries. That could make a big difference. All your changes now may be for naught till you have the final boat set-up complete.

Right now, you have a combination of too much drag and prop venting at holeshot. Taking weight off the ass end of a Gambler is everything to holeshot performance.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

17. Member
    I hear you about the battries but I want to work from a "known" which was how it was set up when i got it. I know from everyone elses experiance the 28B is the prop. I would like to get it as best possible with the "standard" set up...Batt, prop ect and then get into the weight adjustments ect. As it is there are already two many variables to master without me adding a new unknown. I just have to get an understanding of the trim and tab settings and timing this hull needs. The setback on this thing is massive and the boat and tabs are significantly bigger then what my muscle memory is calibrated for.

18. Member
    AND....who in the world thought it a good idea to move the Tab switch from under the right hand? Hate it

19. Member
    Lots of opinions on vent plugs.....are we all in agreement on jack plate at 3.25?

20. Member
    Usually run mine 3.5 to 4, don't seem to matter on holeshot for me. Think JAZ has the same set up as you, he knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast