Thread: 3/4” hole

3/4” hole

I need to drill a 3/4” hole in my boat for a transducer cable. All I have is a spade bit. Would it work? My imagination sees it being a disaster.

2. Member
    I wouldn't use one. I think you would be better off using a pilot drill and a holesaw.

3. Member
    +1 on holesaw. Drill pilot slightly smaller than the pilot on the center of the hole saw. Turn the drill backwards when you first hit the gel to etch it good without chipping then forward to finish the hole.

I would tape the area before using a hole saw, drill your pilot hole first.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Use painters tape and tape the area you are drilling and this will prevent the chipping. Don't use the paddle bit if you like your boat.

Good tip on running the hole saw backwards until you get a groove. I also use a variable speed drill and just bump the trigger. This will keep it from digging in and walking.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    +1 on holesaw. Drill pilot slightly smaller than the pilot on the center of the hole saw. Turn the drill backwards when you first hit the gel to etch it good without chipping then forward to finish the hole.
    This. Buy a new hole saw if yours is used. Needs to be sharp. Also tape off the area as well.

8. Member
    For 3/4" hole, try a step bit. They create clean holes in other materials. I imagine it should be fine with fiberglass....

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...lls-96275.html

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If you use the step bit just be sure you can get at the hole from both sides. Depending on the thickness you’re drilling through the inside of the hole could be 1/8th-1/4” smaller.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    I have used a diamond edge hole saw for fiberglass. Good smooth cut but reversing the bit on a regular hole saw works. Use tape as all said.
    Last edited by DougL58; 05-23-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Get a 3/4 unibit and just drill it all the way thru. One major tip nobody mentioned is do it above the waterline. If you use a ram mount base you can cover it up real good and silicone inside to waterproof it. You can mount a gps puck on top if it looks lonely.

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-MOUNTS-RA...a-761431552312

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    If you use the step bit just be sure you can get at the hole from both sides. Depending on the thickness you’re drilling through the inside of the hole could be 1/8th-1/4” smaller.
    yep

13. Member
    Where are you going to drill this hole ? is there not a better way to run the cable ?

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Dont know why you say it would be a disaster......I used spade bits several times to make holes and never had an issue.... in fact used one to drill hole at transom and console....like the hole saw, you can go backwards also.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

15. Member
    I use spade bits often when drilling fiberglass. As long as it's sharp, It will cut a groove in the glass before it starts cutting the glass
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Where are you going to drill this hole ? is there not a better way to run the cable ?
    I'm with Dave on this. I would do almost anything than drill a 3/4" hole in my transom. Especially for a cable.

17. Member
    I had to replace the courtesy lights on my vx but the new lights had an elipticle housing on the back of the light. and the old light had a round housing. So I used a burr bit on my cordless and just cut out the fiberglass I needed it went pretty fast. So If I were you I would use the biggest drill bit I had then put the burr on and just make the hole bigger. You can take your time and go as slow as you want to or faster.

18. Member
    Kinda like a roto zip tool would do.