Trimming motor up for side scan sonar operation

Am planning a tin boat purchase and will be mounting a Lowrance side scan transducer to the transom. What experience do you have with trimming up to provide a good view left and right for the transducer? Does it take a lot of trim?

Closer you mount it to the engine the less trim it will take. My Humminbird HDSI transducer is mounted about a foot to starboard of the centerline and a 4" jack plate gives plenty of clearance without having to trim motor up. The side image signal is not a radiating expanding cone like the 2D signal. it is thin and flat like a sheet of paper extending to the side. If you have interference from the engine you will see a line running down the screen just to one side of the center. Just experiment and trim up till the line goes away.

I trim up a bit. Trans. On starboard side.
    No problem.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BR374 View Post
    I trim up a bit. Trans. On starboard side.
    No problem.
    Ditto, maybe 1/4? You are going to be idling along anyway. My boat has the Merc SC system so I can bump the speed down or up to 1000 rpms. Its not a big deal to do that with a hand throttle, its REAL handy if you have a hotfoot.

5. Banned
    Mines about 14" away from outboard shaft/prop on starboard side. Trim up about 1/4 at idle, and it's fine.
    IMG_20190308_3579.jpg

6. Member
    it's a very small line and I hardly even notice it. I just know it's the motor and don't give it a second thought. It's not a big deal at all.

7. Banned
    I trim up a small amount, no big deal.

8. Member
    Thanks all