V8 250/300 Propping

Serial# 1E080801

What prop are you guys running on your 250/300 V8s...Pro XS and R motors? Seems to me like 90% of the people out there running these motors are using the Fury 3 blade no matter the hull...

2. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    250R. Bravo/Max5

3. Member
    Bravo

4. Member
    Fury 3 25P. But Phoenix boats like a Fury to begin with.
    2018 Phoenix 920 / Mercury 250R

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Max 5, Max 5 ST, Max 5 SST, Hydromotive X-O/B, Promax, etc.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

6. Member
    Fury comes on the majority of boats from the factory and they perform decent enough that people don't bother to change them.

Good point...That is true...

8. mikesxpress
    What boat?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    Serial# 1E080801

What prop are you guys running on your 250/300 V8s...Pro XS and R motors? Seems to me like 90% of the people out there running these motors are using the Fury 3 blade no matter the hull...
    Many bass boats are running the Fury, which was actually a prop that was originally targeted FOR Bassboat hulls.

May or may not be suitable for YOUR hull... depends on what boat you're running.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18 model Triton 21 TRX....Tried a worked 26 Tempest...Hole shot wasn't very good but RPM was right on and the acceleration/top end was impressive for such a large boat....Will try a 25 Fury 3 this weekend....Also, have a 27 Bravo FS on order. Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it!

11. Member
    Be aware that these engines do benefit from venting on props on heavier boats. Something I wouldn't have thought necessary what with the gobs of excess torque I keep hearing about. I think the FS props come without PVS holes.

The FS has 4 holes and yes venting is a must even with the 300R...At least on my boat it is...

13. Member
    FS in prop description stands for FOUR STROKE.

14. mikesxpress
    My repower from the Opti changed everything regarding props, PVS plugs, JP height and trim settings. I had to shelf the 25P Tempest and start over.

The 4.6L 250 Pro XS V8 is capable of 6200 rpms and that's where it needs to run. If you have both mph/rpms you can enter it into the Mercury prop slip calculator and see where your at now but the goal is to get as close to 6200 rpms as possible. As every boat/rigging is different, loads are different, atmospheric conditions can be different, so no one prop is good for every boat of the same model/year.

The "out of the box" Mercury props (and all others) are made to industry standards which is +/- 2 on pitch blade to blade. Reputable prop shop with computerized measuring equipment can validate what you have and true up all the blades to say a 23P Fury. The PVS holes on my props are all plugged. Experimented with the various sizes and my rig performs best with all holes plugged which eliminated any blow out on take off. https://www.halepropeller.com/hale-mri

Now you have an actual baseline to work from to get your rpms to 6150-6200. The speed will be what it is. Need more bow lift? Increase the rake but realize that will in turn drop your rpms and speed.

I just went thru all this the past 10 months with my V8 repower on my Z21 Intracoastal using 3 blade
    23 (summer) & 24 P (winter) Fury's. The box prop blades on the 23 ranged from 25.5 on one blade to 22 on the next blade. The 24 wasn't much better. After they were true pitched ($210 each to do that) I had them adjusted again to achieve my desired 6150 rpms and bow attitude. 23P speed came in at 71.5 with 75° air temp/64° water temp. Final prop configuration saved at the shop for any future repairs or replacements.

Or you can just hang a box wheel on, run it, and save a few bucks.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 05-31-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Sucks that props can be off by so much out of the box...

16. mikesxpress
    Jeff they have always been like that. Most folks just don't know it. For the average end user it's not an issue. Take it out of the box and hang it. For those of us that are wringing every bit of performance out of our rig OCD kicks in.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkertx3 View Post
    Be aware that these engines do benefit from venting on props on heavier boats. Something I wouldn't have thought necessary what with the gobs of excess torque I keep hearing about. I think the FS props come without PVS holes.
    Most 4S model props DO have PVS vents- but are usually limited to 3 or 4 (depending on which prop). No harm in utilizing PVS, it's often not needed unless the engine is buried pretty deep (restricting the idle relief circuit to some extent).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Jeff they have always been like that. Most folks just don't know it. For the average end user it's not an issue. Take it out of the box and hang it. For those of us that are wringing every bit of performance out of our rig OCD kicks in.
    Mike on the Hale website it states that ALL the MRI machines are only for props that are at least 18" in diameter. We need a machine capable of around 13"-15.5". What did they tell you?

See bottom of this link >>> https://www.halepropeller.com/hale-mri

19. mikesxpress
    You need to speak directly with Hale as what the website has and what they actually offer is different. Prop Scan has been around a long time and they offer gear for smaller props on the site.
    http://propscan.com