Clear Film Paint Protection

I have a painted smooth sided aluminum boat and the gas tank vent is on the side of the boat near the stern. I've heard of and seen a overly full tank leaking fuel out of the vent when the weather is very warm. If leaking long enough the paint will loosen and come off. I was looking at some 3M Scotchgard PRO SERIES paint protection film to put on the side of the boat in the area of the vent to prevent the paint coming off should it ever leak gas. Have any of you used this product on your boat and how did it hold up in salt water??? Did you install it yourself or have someone do it for you?

2. Member
    Gas tanks aren’t meant to be filled to the brim. I’d think the solution would be to not overfill it to begin with if that’s the cause.

3. Member
    The tank is in the belly of the boat under the floor, holds 50 gallons. The tank fill is on top of the gunnel near the stern. I have yet to find a way to accurately tell how much fuel is left in the tank so that is why I have the concern of overflow out the vent. I also don't know if it will burp when setting out in the sun at 40, 45 or 50 gallons. I would like to have peace of mind that if the tank did burp out the vent my paint would be protected.

4. Member
    Just keep it above the water line and you will be fine. I like Xpel personally but on a job like that, either prolly OK.