Question for the G Loomis experts

Can someone school me on the mag bass taper that the MBR rods have vs the fast taper that the JWR rods have in the GLX casting rods? Is one better than the other for Texas-rigged baits or jigs, where sensitivity is a top priority? Are the MBR rods more of an all-around rod vs the JWR being more technique-specific?

2. Member
    Mbr is a slower taper. They are pretty versatile rods and can do a lot of things from jigs, plastics, spinnerbaits, swim jigs, topwater, etc...if it was just for t rigs and jigs then the extra fast would be better. But the mbr could do that and also be a moving bait rod

3. Member
    From my little experience with 3 NRX (one spinning) and one GLX MBR the JWR is basically a bottom bouncing only rod and as said MBR more versatile.

4. Member
    As stated, the MBR is a bit slower. Personally, I think they fish much better. My NRX853xs ate my least favorite Loomis rods...I like the MBR843xs much more.

5. Member
    Thanks for the explanation. Here's my predicament. Prior to this season I had been pitching T-Rigs with a Falcon Cara T7 Head Turner rod. I really liked the rod, but had a chance to buy a G Loomis GLX 844C MBR rod (older, used, but still in great shape). Being the idiot I sometimes am, I bought the G Loomis rod and immediately sold the Head Turner, not bothering to wait until after I had used the G Loomis to see how well I would like it. Last weekend I finally had the opportunity to really use the GLX for T-Rigs. It performed fine, but I feel like my pitching accuracy is worse with it. It's like the tip is a bit softer than the Head Turner and I find myself flinging the bait up more than I ever did with the Falcon. I also don't feel like the GLX is any more sensitive than the Falcon, which was a main reason I wanted the GLX. So now I'm not sure if I want to keep the GLX and hope I get more used to the feel of it, get a JWR GLX, or buy a completely different rod built more specifically for bottom contact baits. I thought about just buyiing another Head Turner, but I heard they are out of stock and will be moving construction of the rods to China. Any suggestions or advice would certainly be appreciated.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. Here's my predicament. Prior to this season I had been pitching T-Rigs with a Falcon Cara T7 Head Turner rod. I really liked the rod, but had a chance to buy a G Loomis GLX 844C MBR rod (older, used, but still in great shape). Being the idiot I sometimes am, I bought the G Loomis rod and immediately sold the Head Turner, not bothering to wait until after I had used the G Loomis to see how well I would like it. Last weekend I finally had the opportunity to really use the GLX for T-Rigs. It performed fine, but I feel like my pitching accuracy is worse with it. It's like the tip is a bit softer than the Head Turner and I find myself flinging the bait up more than I ever did with the Falcon. I also don't feel like the GLX is any more sensitive than the Falcon, which was a main reason I wanted the GLX. So now I'm not sure if I want to keep the GLX and hope I get more used to the feel of it, get a JWR GLX, or buy a completely different rod built more specifically for bottom contact baits. I thought about just buyiing another Head Turner, but I heard they are out of stock and will be moving construction of the rods to China. Any suggestions or advice would certainly be appreciated.
    I just bought a new GLX 844MBR and a the last Head Turner my local shop had in stock.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I just bought a new GLX 844MBR and a the last Head Turner my local shop had in stock.
    Are you planning to T-rig with both rods? If so, I'd be interested in your comparison of both. The GLX I have is probably 15 years old so part of me is wondering if a new GLX would have a crisper feel to it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Are you planning to T-rig with both rods? If so, I'd be interested in your comparison of both. The GLX I have is probably 15 years old so part of me is wondering if a new GLX would have a crisper feel to it.
    They both will probably be general purpose. I just bought my first three NRX rods recently and figured I'd give the GLX a try since it's not a JWR as far as the Head Turner I always wanted one as basically all my rods are Cara so I grabbed this one while I could, I have two 6'10" Finesse Jig models but wanted the heavier 6'10" Head Turner.