Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

bag limit confusion

Here in Ca on most bodies of water we are allowed a 5 fish bag limit. Is a bag limit per fisher or total for the boat you are on?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Member
    Per angler

3. Banned
    Depends on your state rules, in TX the possession limit is double the bag limit which means no matter how may more people are in your boat the maximum # of fish you could have at one time is 10.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Depends on your state rules, in TX the possession limit is double the bag limit which means no matter how may more people are in your boat the maximum # of fish you could have at one time is 10.
    So if three people go out to catch their limit of 5, the law says they can only catch 10 between all three?

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    So if three people go out to catch their limit of 5, the law says they can only catch 10 between all three?
    In texas yes.

The possession limit is twice the daily limit per licensed angler.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

7. Banned
    Wrong

Don’t get it confused though, your possession limit is not what you have in your daily limit. For example, I can have five in the freezer (possession) and I can go out and catch and bring home five more fish for a total of 10 in possession.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

9. Banned
    Probably some of the most common game warden tickets written here are for over the possession limit for white bass and bird hunting every year.

Keeping fish in the freezer for a big family fish fry or smoke was going to be my next question. Better take a trip to CA fish and game office around the corner to clear some of this confusion to avoid citations and fines.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    Don’t get it confused though, your possession limit is not what you have in your daily limit. For example, I can have five in the freezer (possession) and I can go out and catch and bring home five more fish for a total of 10 in possession.
    No, fish at your residence do not count towards your possession limit.

Possession limit (anglers):The maximum number of fish a person may possess before returning to their residence. Possession limit is twice the daily bag on game and nongame fish, except as provided in this guide, and does not apply to fish in the possession of or stored by a person at their residence.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swilliford View Post
    No, fish at your residence do not count towards your position limit.

Possession limit (anglers):The maximum number of fish a person may possess before returning to their residence. Possession limit is twice the daily bag on game and nongame fish, except as provided in this guide, and does not apply to fish in the possession of or stored by a person at their residence.
    Right, you're still only allowed so many per day but once the fish/game reach its final destination (your home/freezer) the limit/tagging requirements cease.

13. Member
    Probably some of the most common game warden tickets written here are for over the possession limit for white bass and bird hunting every year.
    Your white bass limit is 25 unless otherwise posted. So you're saying 3 guys in a boat would be over the limit if more than 25 but the same three guys standing on the bank can have 25 each? Crazy if that's true.

14. Banned
    Your white bass limit is 25 unless otherwise posted. So you're saying 3 guys in a boat would be over the limit if more than 25 but the same three guys standing on the bank can have 25 each? Crazy if that's true.
    More than 50, possesion limit is double the bag limit. I know cause we got a ticket for this once. Same deal with dove or duck hunting and everyone piles there birds up and game warden walks up, guy closest to the birds gets the ticket I guess.
    Last edited by bossbowman; 05-21-2019 at 03:39 PM.

15. Banned
    I don't think that's the case if its a divided livewell.

16. Banned
    If you have more than 3 livewells IDK how the game warden would interpret that LOL, I just assumed most boats had no more than 2. I think regardless if fish are in the box or a cooler they're considered all together on a boat.
    Last edited by bossbowman; 05-21-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Laws vary by state. Obviously.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

18. Banned
    Each person can keep their limit. It doesn't matter the number of people. Everyone can have their daily limit

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    Each person can keep their limit. It doesn't matter the number of people. Everyone can have their daily limit
    Correct, regardless of anything else each person can have there limit.

20. Member
    If you have more than 3 livewells IDK how the game warden would interpret that LOL, I just assumed most boats had no more than 2. I think regardless if fish are in the box or a cooler they're considered all together on a boat.
    I think you are confusing daily bag and possession limits, otherwise guides in a party boat would be breaking the law everyday. You may have to keep your catch separate but each licensed angler can catch their daily bag limit.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast