Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by swilliford View Post
    No, fish at your residence do not count towards your possession limit.

Possession limit (anglers):The maximum number of fish a person may possess before returning to their residence. Possession limit is twice the daily bag on game and nongame fish, except as provided in this guide, and does not apply to fish in the possession of or stored by a person at their residence.
    If you did this in NC, you would be the proud recipient of the exceeding your possession limit award. They are still in your possession until consumed. Good luck.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I think you are confusing daily bag and possession limits, otherwise guides in a party boat would be breaking the law everyday. You may have to keep your catch separate but each licensed angler can catch their daily bag limit.
    Thats why they have to have a guide license, the law is different for them. In a personal boat its double the possession limit https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...-length-limits

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Thats why they have to have a guide license, the law is different for them. In a personal boat its double the possession limit https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...-length-limits
    Wrong again. Possession limit just like daily bag limit is per person.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    Wrong again. Possession limit just like daily bag limit is per person.
    We once got a ticket for over 50 white bass in the boat, daily bag per person is 25, there were 3 people on the boat. Thats the law as the GW explained it to me. Luckily none of the fish were short or hybrids, he spent a long time measuring

5. Banned
    I don't know what to tell you. Bag limits and possession limits are an individual thing. Not per boat

6. Member
    Be very very careful. A few years back in Mn a group of guys caught their limit of eyes. They took them back to the cabin and went out and did it again, and again and again. The DNR some how found out, went to their cabin and found way too many fish. They got some huge fines, well over 3K. So be careful, possession can mean in the boat or in you possession, boat and or cabin.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Have rod will travel View Post
    Be very very careful. A few years back in Mn a group of guys caught their limit of eyes. They took them back to the cabin and went out and did it again, and again and again. The DNR some how found out, went to their cabin and found way too many fish. They got some huge fines, well over 3K. So be careful, possession can mean in the boat or in you possession, boat and or cabin.
    Thats because they did it in the same day.

8. Member
    In texas yes.
    You sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Keeping fish in the freezer for a big family fish fry or smoke was going to be my next question. Better take a trip to CA fish and game office around the corner to clear some of this confusion to avoid citations and fines.
    While you are there, ask them about California Fish and Game Code, section 18, here is where you will find the difference to prevent you from receiving a citation for being over the possession limit because it does matter that the fish are in your possession in your freezer.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    If you did this in NC, you would be the proud recipient of the exceeding your possession limit award. They are still in your possession until consumed. Good luck.
    Yup. Same for CA. It varies by species. Gotta read the book.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    You sure about that?
    The third guy can go out by himself later and catch his 5 but they better take those 10 back to the house first.

No matter what state you're in or how many licensed anglers are on a boat. If the fish are kept separate and identifiable, each angler can catch & keep a daily limit. Even in TEXAS.
    ******2008 ZX200/200 Yamaha Series 2******
    *God is great, beer is good ---- people are crazy*

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    You sure about that?
    Bossbowman is in accordance with https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...ns/definitions

Texas allows for this. The majority of states does not.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

14. Banned
    I don't know what to tell you. Bag limits and possession limits are an individual thing. Not per boat
    It's right there >>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    Bossbowman is in accordance with https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...ns/definitions

Texas allows for this. The majority of states does not.
    If you have over twice the daily bag limit in a boat they sure will try to write you a ticket, I guess you could try and fight it.

15. Banned
    Wrong. That is per person

You are absolutely correct.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

17. Banned
    Wrong. That is per person
    If each limit is separated maybe, depends on their interpretation, but if they are all together you have no recourse to prove who caught which fish. Pretty sorry but thats a dirty little trick they use. All ours were in one livewell that had a splash divider, so you could argue it was 2 livewells I guess.

Bag limits and possession limits for migratory birds are per person. No doubt about it. I will say that out of state trips get people into trouble all the time when it comes to the possession limits. People get busted every year in Arkansas for being well over the possession limit by storing birds from multiple days in hotel and cabin freezers. There are a few states that have "Boat" limits in addition to personal limits written into the laws. It's generally in regards to a specific species to limit the overall take per day/per boat of the regulated season.

On a side note I'm not doubting that bossbowman got a citation one time. I've known quite a few people that got citations from game wardens that had no idea what they were talking about. I've argued with a few myself over the years and had to prove my innocence. Not saying that was the case in his situation but it's definitely a possibility!

It's right there >>>

If you have over twice the daily bag limit in a boat they sure will try to write you a ticket, I guess you could try and fight it.
    There is nothing in the link you provided that supports your argument. Possession and bag limits apply to each licensed angler. Daily bag limits are how many fish a licensed angler may keep per day. Possession limits are how many daily bag limits an angler may have in his possession as long as they were not taken on the same day. Three guys are out in a boat catching something with a daily bag limit of 10 and they have 30 fish in the boat. One guy tells the warden he caught 20 of them, he's getting a ticket. If each guy says he caught ten, there's no evidence of a violation, so no ticket.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

20. Banned
    If each limit is separated maybe, depends on their interpretation, but if they are all together you have no recourse to prove who caught which fish. Pretty sorry but thats a dirty little trick they use. All ours were in one livewell that had a splash divider, so you could argue it was 2 livewells I guess.

Sounds like one of you boys didn’t have a valid license.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast