Compressor Check-Up

1B937241

Reason for questions, my compressor is noisy, louder than usual would be the better description. The same sound, just noticeably louder.

Is there a maintenance or diagnostic check for the compressor? I will make a note and consult my service manual this coming weekend.

What about extra steps for low hour users? When we pack them away in the off season, we like some drops of Premium Plus oil as detailed on this site. What about during the regular season where boat can sit for a few weeks between use and that use is a 3 or 4 mile run only. What about 2 or 3 drops of same oil in June and August for example..can it hurt?

Trying to advert the compressor failure if possible. With my motor now off warranty and with a little over 200 hours on it, will probably get my injectors to Don this coming winter. Would rather do that as a preventative measure than as a repair after a compressor failure.

Yes, not scared of installing a new compressor either and keeping original as an emergency spare.

2. Member
    No harm in oiling the compressor during the season.

Look around the seal up top and see if its weeping oil. Pull the belt and wiggle the top pulley looking for play.Pull the filters and break them open and inspect for metal debris. If there is no metal you are probably good. Keep in mind if you do you need to have a prime pump sequence ran if you pull the filters. Takes a dealer longer to get his stuff out and the cowl off that it is to do the pump prime. The last dealer to do mine didnt even charge me to do it.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also work the pulley around at the bottom of the "stroke". Listen for a "clunk" (if you hear a clunk there, you may possibly have a crankpin failure brewing).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get a moment tomorrow to do those checks.