Thread: Spiral wrap?

Spiral wrap?

How many of you guys are using a spiral wrap over a conventional wrap? The rod I’m building know I’m thinking of giving it a go. Did it seem odd to you using a spiral wrap at first when fishing with the rod?

2. Member
    I have built a few and on bass fishing tackle I did not notice a difference. On my musky rods and saltwater rods I have built, there is a noticeable difference in that the rod does not try to twist in your hand when fighting fish.This is because the guides are already on the bottom. I use the simple spiral method with only two offset guides. No difference in casting difference.

DG

3. Member
    I've done it for a couple of guys. Once for myself. I didn't notice any difference while fishing. I did notice when laying it on my boat deck one guide always seemed to be "down" and so the rod would not lay flat; kind of a PITA. So I didn't wrap any more for myself.

4. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADVAN View Post
    I did notice when laying it on my boat deck one guide always seemed to be "down" and so the rod would not lay flat; kind of a PITA. So I didn't wrap any more for myself.
    Then your transition guides were on the wrong side. Always spiral towards the side the reel handle is on. Then when you lay it on the deck, the guides are up and sideways.

5. Member
    All my rods are spiral wrapped. I've tested this numerous times by taking two identical blanks and building one spiral and one conventional. I found that the spiral casted better, had less weight at the tip, and never jumped in my hand on hookset. From a builder's perspective, it's also cheaper because there is one if not two fewer guides.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason not to spiral wrap is if you just can't get over the lack of symmetry.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan grulke View Post
    I have built a few and on bass fishing tackle I did not notice a difference. On my musky rods and saltwater rods I have built, there is a noticeable difference in that the rod does not try to twist in your hand when fighting fish.This is because the guides are already on the bottom. I use the simple spiral method with only two offset guides. No difference in casting difference.

DG
    Iv'e noticed quite the difference with finesse oriented rod builds. I fish a lot for smallies with flick shakes, neko rigs, etc. Fighting a 6 lb smallmouth on a rod with 300 grams of power or less, the spiral wrap keeps the blank from twisting as much, in turn creating less pressure on my wrist. Overall, I think it's a more natural approach for a blanks behavior. Casting distance and what not, I notice no difference.

7. Member
    "shfishinsticks", that's such a simple answer; makes me feel dumb. I just may have to try another spiral wrap rod now.

Quote Originally Posted by Snag_Devil View Post
    All my rods are spiral wrapped. I've tested this numerous times by taking two identical blanks and building one spiral and one conventional. I found that the spiral casted better, had less weight at the tip, and never jumped in my hand on hookset. From a builder's perspective, it's also cheaper because there is one if not two fewer guides.

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason not to spiral wrap is if you just can't get over the lack of symmetry.
    this

Whoops quoted the wrong post see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogsticker View Post
    Iv'e noticed quite the difference with finesse oriented rod builds. I fish a lot for smallies with flick shakes, neko rigs, etc. Fighting a 6 lb smallmouth on a rod with 300 grams of power or less, the spiral wrap keeps the blank from twisting as much, in turn creating less pressure on my wrist. Overall, I think it's a more natural approach for a blanks behavior. Casting distance and what not, I notice no difference.
    Not trying to be a smart ass in anyway just always trying to be a student of the game. I take it you prefer the baitcasters then and build your light rods with casting seats? Just got me curious since in my mind it says spinning seat. And if I can pickup new stuff to try I will lol

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    Not trying to be a smart ass in anyway just always trying to be a student of the game. I take it you prefer the baitcasters then and build your light rods with casting seats? Just got me curious since in my mind it says spinning seat. And if I can pickup new stuff to try I will lol
    yup

So cal offshore guys started the whole Acid wrap deal years ago. It never stuck for some reason. If a rod is splined correctly you shouldn’t have much if any roll.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    Building on the spine isn't always the best option. I prefer to build on the straightest axis of the blank. Sometimes that happens to line up with the spine sometimes it doesn't. As far as spiral wraps, I build all of my bait casting rods with the simple spiral. I built my first one this way 20 years ago and haven't looked back.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bemidjibasser View Post
    Building on the spine isn't always the best option. I prefer to build on the straightest axis of the blank. Sometimes that happens to line up with the spine sometimes it doesn't. As far as spiral wraps, I build all of my bait casting rods with the simple spiral. I built my first one this way 20 years ago and haven't looked back.
    Yep. Let the blank do what it wants to naturally.

I spiral mine as well. The only thing I don't like about it is completely rooted in the fact that I'm too anal when it comes to lining up guides. With the 0-45-135-180 "slow" spiral I usually do (usually -10 on the first guide to avoid issues with line spooling on reel) I end up spending a lot of time tweaking guide placement before finishing. Past that, it's the only way to go in my opinion!

I should try the simple spiral. I know people have excellent luck with it, just can't get it out of my head that it would put more stress on the guides and/or want to contact the blank. Obviously the last point can be checked with a static test, but you know how things weigh on your mind...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34