Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Will anyone leave MLF after this season?

Wondering if anyone thinks some of these guys will break contract after this year. I’m betting some of those big names that have had little to no success will be considering it, and MLF might have to deal with that more generously than they want to, as really going after someone contractually, though their right, might be seen negatively by the other anglers they are trying to keep.

To clarify, I think this will be the case because of how different these tournaments are. Getting crushed by anglers who have just over 1 lb averages is going to be harder on some of the bigger egos there than they might have imagined I suspect. Basically I think some guys who should have known what they were getting into, thought they would do better in this format. Also, it seems to only be supported by 50% or so of tournament anglers (I could be wrong, but that’s my guess from watching social media posts, boards, etc), and I’d assume they thought it would be 90%+ when they signed up.

And before anyone jumps all over me for the post, I have admitted I don’t like it, and wouldn’t like to see bass tournament fishing go this direction. I really don’t like catching 100 small fish, and even less seeing people compete to do that. Just curious if anyone else thinks people will leave and who they see doing that.

One I could see is Arron Martins. I really like watching him fish when he is doing well, but from what I have seen he’s quick to start externalizing when it’s not. I suspect he thought he would do exceptionally in this and he isn’t. Prolly won’t leave, but that would be my first guess, but I do think at least one will leave or try.

2. Banned
    No, they will stay the 3 years.

3. Member
    KVD won't. He knows who butters his bread.

4. Banned
    Probably all signed a non compete clause, very common in the entertainment industry, they could leave but wouldn't be fishing professionally anywhere else for 3 years

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Probably all signed a non compete clause, very common in the entertainment industry, they could leave but wouldn't be fishing professionally anywhere else for 3 years
    There is a buyout. $25k/year that you leave early. Doubtful anyone will leave but I suppose anything is possible.

6. Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if a few do.

Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Since some are already fishing BASS Opens, what kind of non compete agreement could they have that would keep them from leaving MLF? The guy who finishes in last place on the money list for the year will at minimum have 40K left in the bank that would have otherwise been used to pay entry fees. No one outside the organization knows what kind of TV revenue sharing agreement is in place.
    I would not bet on many leaving.

P01135809

8. Banned
    First thing would be where they gonna go????? They have to requalify through the opens to get back to bass.

Second would be I agree completely with you that they only have about 50% of the fan base. Had they not the kept the every dink counts, I think they could have had the lions share of viewers. I really think they dropped the ball the there. But it’s not my ball, so we’ll see how it shakes out.

9. Member
    I doubt some leave to compete somewhere else, but you may see one or two retire from fishing.

10. Member
    I doubt many will leave after the first year unless their sponsor(s) directs them to leave. It's all about the bottomline ($$$) so many might be doing better monetarily than it appears. It sure seems like the MLF participants are getting less exposure, but it is the first year and it might just be that the big split has diluted my interest in all 3 major circuits. I am probably a middle-aged outlier and not the typical follower that I was a few years ago.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    First thing would be where they gonna go????? They have to requalify through the opens to get back to bass.

Second would be I agree completely with you that they only have about 50% of the fan base. Had they not the kept the every dink counts, I think they could have had the lions share of viewers. I really think they dropped the ball the there. But it’s not my ball, so we’ll see how it shakes out.
    BASS let plenty of people in this year without qualifying, and they still don't have a full field. I bet they will take whoever wants to come back until the field is full again.

12. Member
    So say if A Mart, Swindle or KVD wanted back, you think BASS would say no? I doubt it. A chunk of the guys fishing BASS right now didn’t qualify, they got an invite

13. Member
    Paul Alias is 68 and has won $0 this year and in 79th place
    Shaw Grigbsy is 63 and has won $12,000 this year and in 66th place
    Tommy Biffle is 62 and has won $12,000 this year and in 62th place
    Gary Klein is 63 and has won $25,200 this year and in 38th place
    Mark Davis is only 57 and has won $24,000 this year and in 33th place

I could see any one of these guys retiring at the end of the year. Mark Davis is the youngest of the 5 but moves like he is 100. A life of fishing has been hard on him.

The money and places are all before this weekends tournament. Gary Klein and Mark Davis are fishing today, but doesn't look like they will make the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post

"Only" have 50% of the fan base? That's pretty good for a first year. Talking BPT of course, not the whole MLF shebang.

There's going to be turnover for sure.

15. Member
    It appears to me that a lot of them are not having fun, these tournaments are bit more stressful than the old format of BASS and FLW

16. Member
    so when you go fishing you catch the 1lbers but you don't enjoy it? or you only get enjoyment out of 5+lbers? If the commenter above is correct and it is $25k per year to break the contract...I don't see any leaving.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

17. Member
    I think the door to B.A.S.S is open. When they let others come in this year by invite........... we’ll, that says a lot
    GETFISHED !!!

18. Banned
    There has to be some revenue sharing or additional payment to all of them. Doubt those guys would give up there tour to go somewhere else without guaranteed money. James Watson said he signed a non disclosure document l
    Prohibiting him from telling any details. Like said above where they gonna go.

19. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Last thing I remember
    I was running for the door
    I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
    "Relax," said the night man
    "We are programmed to receive
    You can check out any time you like
    But you can never leave!"

-
    Felder, Frey and Henley
    Who controls John Gill?

I doubt it. Aren’t they primarily doing this for a tv show? I doubt they would leave before it even airs on tv. Probably a lot more money to be made than most realize. I doubt they will be leaving easy money behind to try and requalify for something that’s not guaranteed. Maybe some of the really rich ones who can afford it will leave but I bet they will wait it out to see if it becomes a success or not.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast