Pro XS 150 engine rev and shut off

Had something interesting happen while fishing a two day tournament over the weekend. I have a 2016 basscat sabre with a mercury 150 pro xs. Ran fine all morning on Friday and then after fishing the last spot it started acting up. Motor would crank, immediately rev to about 3,000-4,000 rpms and then shut off. It did this about 8 times and I finally called for someone to tow us in. When the guy got there, I tried one more time and it ran fine all the way back to the ramp.

As as soon as I loaded it on the trailer I hauled it to the dealership I purchased from. They cranked it and revved the crap out of the motor no less than 20-25 times and it never acted up. Then they hooked the computer up and there were no codes thrown whatsoever.

I took it out yesterday for the second day of the tournament and ran all over the place with no issues.

My issue is simply confidence. When something like that happens you lose confidence in the motor. If I have no confidence in the motor, I don’t go which is a problem. Has anyone ever had this happen or even heard of this happening?

I appreciate any responses.

2. Member
    possible fuel vapors boil over or float sticking cause fuel overflow, find someone else that wont rev mtr like that
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................