Original software or update? Helix 7 Mega

Just ordered a new Helix 7 Mega SI G3 and will be taking it on a Canada trip soon. Should i update it or leave it with factory software installed?

Thanks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Just ordered a new Helix 7 Mega SI G3 and will be taking it on a Canada trip soon. Should i update it or leave it with factory software installed?

Thanks
    hard question to answer. Won’t know until you have the unit which software version it will even be running. Are you going to be able to get it mounted and out for a test run before you leave? Just got the same unit and for the most part it was good out of the box. Just can’t get it to keep a bottom reading at speed. Software update did not help that. If you get it out and have no issues on the water I would be tempted to wait until after the trip.

3. Member
    Slight chance i can get it out beforehand. Gonna try, though.

Reading at speed isnt much of a concern for me, as i scan at trolling speeds most of the time.

I definately need sidescan to work good, and would like to use Autochart Live since the lakes arent charted.

4. Member
    I think I would leave it alone and use it as is, then update when you get back if you want. I bought a new 7 g3n DI with the 1.84 software preloaded and worked just fine, even using the 360 networked and a 9 SI g2n networked on SI that I checked out in it and everything worked great. I primarily use the 7 for mapping and 2d upfront with 10 DI g2n for 360. I did however update the 7 to latest software and have had no issues whatsoever. Same for the 10 and 9, no issues to amount to anything on the latest updates. Only thing I hooked up to each of the units was power cable only when I updated however.

5. Member
    Slight chance i can get it out beforehand. Gonna try, though.

Reading at speed isnt much of a concern for me, as i scan at trolling speeds most of the time.

I definately need sidescan to work good, and would like to use Autochart Live since the lakes arent charted.
    If you can’t test it out before you leave I would make sure to bring any tools along that you might need to make adjustments (don’t forget a level). I agree that I would use it as is out of the box and not try to update before you go. Although it is unlikely, there is always the chance you could have an issue with the update process itself and make the unit inoperable.

6. Member
    Or you can download the update on a card and print out the instructions and take them with you.

7. Member
    ^ Yup, will do

8. Member
    Be sure and write down what version of software your 7 came with from factory.

9. Member
    it came with 1.940

10. Member
    it came with 1.940
    you’re all up to date then. Perfect.

11. Member
    Yes.. nothing to update...use it as is.

12. Member
    Thanks again.

Now i'll have to investigate the differences in this G3 and my old G2 Mega 9

Thanks again.

Now i'll have to investigate the differences in this G3 and my old G2 Mega 9

The Helix 7 SI G3 does not have Down Imaging. It has the Composite DI views created by blending the two SI pulses. Same as the first generation and second generation Helix 7 SI units and all other SI models prior to the MEGA SI models except the ONIX and SOLIX.
    It does not have 800 kHz Imaging, its got 455 and MEGA Imaging.
    The included SI transducer is like the Compact SI transducer XNT 9 SI 180 T, you can tell the difference visually by the location of the temp sensor. This is both of them, the XNT 9 SI 180 T has the temp sensor centered on the bottom.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Thanks, Wayne

Wasnt ice mode and jigging mode different or missing?

Thanks, Wayne

Wasnt ice mode and jigging mode different or missing?
    Jigging mode was for Dual Beam SI units, the G3 and G3N are Dual Spectrum.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Looking forward to seeing how it works out. Not a whole lot of user reports on it.

17. Member
    Got it on the water today for about an hour. It went ok after some fiddling with it, but could not change the color palette on SI for nothing. It was stuck on amber. DI would change, but not SI.

18. Member
    Got it on the water today for about an hour. It went ok after some fiddling with it, but could not change the color palette on SI for nothing. It was stuck on amber. DI would change, but not SI.
    That’s funny. I have the same unit and it did the same exact thing last night. Didn’t try power cycling or anything cuz we were catching fish.

That is one thing I have not checked. Mine does the same. The choices change color, but it doesn't change the view.

The default color is what I normally use.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    That is one thing I have not checked. Mine does the same. The choices change color, but it doesn't change the view.
    It
    The default color is what I normally use.
    has this issue been corrected on software updates?