Sabre FTD w/ Evinrude 150HO

Thinking of downsizing from my P2 to a Sabre FTD with Evinrude 150 HO G2. Is anyone running this combo and can you tell me approximate speed’s, handling, likes and dislikes? Appreciate any and all input.
    Gerard

2. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    Garard,
    That's almost the combo I have. Speeds are 68 or a little higher. The boat feels excellent to me. My engine is a Merc. 4 stroke. Sounds and runs great.
    I fish alone most of the time and its plenty for me. I have a single axle and I tow with a Tahoe. My only complaint about that is once in a while it's a little bouncy.
    The boat gets up on plane easily and quickly. Steering is precise and solid.
    I'm in the process of getting a helix 98 mega mounted on the console. The 9inch is just a bit too big to be flush mounted. Precision sonar has a mount that will work so one is on order.
    The Helix 8 inch would fit as its smaller.

3. Member
    I've owned a Sabre FTD and fished from a PII a couple of times. Why are you downsizing? I wanted the PII but couldn't get it in my garage at the time and ended up with the Sabre FTD. The PII has a little larger front deck and a bunch more room in the seating area. When I had a 150 Opti on my Sabre FTD I'd see high 50's. Mine was an early DC copy. You might see low 60's depending on single or dual console and how much stuff you carry? The Sabre FTD with a 175 was WAY more fun and would carry the loads with ease. I wouldn't want the Sabre FTD with the DC again. It was a pin getting long rods in the box. After owning another boat with center storage I think thats the way to go if you want a smaller DC boat and carry long rods.

The Sabre FTD handled everything I threw at it! I fished big lakes, small lakes and everything in between. Don't be afraid of that aspect.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I've owned a Sabre FTD and fished from a PII a couple of times. Why are you downsizing? I wanted the PII but couldn't get it in my garage at the time and ended up with the Sabre FTD. The PII has a little larger front deck and a bunch more room in the seating area. When I had a 150 Opti on my Sabre FTD I'd see high 50's. Mine was an early DC copy. You might see low 60's depending on single or dual console and how much stuff you carry? The Sabre FTD with a 175 was WAY more fun and would carry the loads with ease. I wouldn't want the Sabre FTD with the DC again. It was a pin getting long rods in the box. After owning another boat with center storage I think thats the way to go if you want a smaller DC boat and carry long rods.

The Sabre FTD handled everything I threw at it! I fished big lakes, small lakes and everything in between. Don't be afraid of that aspect.
    As I am approaching 63 years old and fish a lot by myself, looking for something that might be a little easier to handle getting in and out of the garage, etc. I owned two different Sabres many many years ago and since have only run P2’s. Thanking just easier to handle and I don’t need to run low 70’s anymore, but would still like to get above 65.

5. Member
    You are running 68 with the Merc 4S 150? That would be what I am looking for but did not think the Merc would get there. I knew the 175 would.

6. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I'm going by the Speedo on the console. Maybe its a little less via GPS? But if it is its not much.
    The Merc is a great engine in my opinion. When I bought mine there wasn't a 175 in a four stroke. Mine's a 2015 FTD.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrigj View Post
    As I am approaching 63 years old and fish a lot by myself, looking for something that might be a little easier to handle getting in and out of the garage, etc. I owned two different Sabres many many years ago and since have only run P2’s. Thanking just easier to handle and I don’t need to run low 70’s anymore, but would still like to get above 65.
    The Sabre FTD on a single axle should fit your needs. Mine was easy to store etc... I traded my Cougar for a RT188 with a 115 almost three years ago for some of the same reasons. I just couldn’t spring for another Sabre FTD financially at the time.

I’d opt for a 175 if you’re expecting 65 GPS on a consistent basis.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The Sabre FTD on a single axle should fit your needs. Mine was easy to store etc... I traded my Cougar for a RT188 with a 115 almost three years ago for some of the same reasons. I just couldn’t spring for another Sabre FTD financially at the time.

I’d opt for a 175 if you’re expecting 65 GPS on a consistent basis.
    Thanks for the input. That is what it is sounding like. A 175 if you want the performance side.

I really like the Sabre FTD but have not bought one. Had a 96 Eyra with a 150 merc. back in the day that would run 66 turning a 24 trophy. Absolutely perfect size but wanted the P2 for the longer rod lockers. I would say that you would not be gaining much in the ease department. We are talking a foot of glass separating these two boats.
    Last edited by Finlander; 05-21-2019 at 03:53 PM.

10. Member
    Finlander, I am considering that as well. There is not a lot of difference between the two with the exception of a tandem trailer and making a 90° turn into the garage. I have to push it in and it is getting tough on this old body.

I do not have any experience with Evinrude, but did have a Merc 150 EFI on my rig when I bought new. Repowered with a 175 Pro XS in 2011. The 150 would push me to 65 solo, but add a partner and it dropped off significantly. The 175 carries a load much better. Can run consistent high 60’s with two folks and gear.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Just some food for thought, my old 1100 lb Eyra sat on a tandem but it moved easy because, being an 18’ rig, there was very little tongue weight. It still required a push but it spun easy compared to my 21’ rigs. It was a dream machine but the rod locker was a bit tight. They stopped making collapsible rods so the P2 is the minimum size now. What year is your p2?
    Last edited by Finlander; 05-22-2019 at 03:44 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Just some food for thought, my old 1100 lb Eyra sat on a tandem but it moved easy because, being an 18’ rig, there was very little tongue weight. It still required a push but it spun easy compared to my 21’ rigs. It was a dream machine but the rod locker was a bit tight. They stopped making collapsible rods so the P2 is the minimum size now. What year is your p2?
    2016 (bought at end of 2016 - 70 hours on the engine)

Nice...pm some pics.

15. Member
    Sent you PM with pics. Hope it sent correctly
    Gerard

Haven't received one yet.

17. Member

18. Member
    Can’t figure out how to post the pics in PM

Did you get my PM?