Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mohawk Trails Guide Services Bad Experience

Booked a trip with Mohawk Guide Services (St Lawrence River,Mohawk Indian Reservation NY) back in January to fish May 15th. Speak with the owner Will two weeks before we arrive to ensure everything is set and where to meet, time, etc. He states yes everything is good your all set. Day before trip I contact him to find where we are meeting and what baits to bring, he states bring anything "you can throw the tackle box at em", ok I pack light tubes, neds, swimbaits. Requested to have my Dad and I fish with him and my buddy to fish with a world class Susquehana guide that is on-site for a bit, no problem Will states you're all set. Get to the meeting spot at 7:45 AM, contact Will, we are here, states we got a problem, customer's from yesterday want to stay and fish with me for another half day I need to get another boat here so you guys can fish. We get paired up with an absolute clueless guy (Garry) that had no business being labeled a guide. Total bait and switch and terrible first half of the day, caught maybe 8 fish and he tells the owner Will that we had a good morning and caught 30. We are talking about a river loaded with fish this time of year when other guides are catching 100 fish a day or more. There was a very specific bite going on that was not relayed to anyone else in the guided party, that boat catches roughly 150 fish while the others barely eek out 20 for the day. The last half of the day my Dad and I go with Will, which was a better experience, but still not what was described to us, it was more of a push for his bait company he owns, Gajo Baits. Buyer beware when dealing with this outfit, when it's on you could throw a hotdog out and catch them, but if you can't catch them there is no adjustment made by the guides to switch it up and get creative. Overall bad experience and would hate to see anyone else go through this. By the way I reached out to the owner to propose a way to make it right before I wrote this. You've been warned!!

2. Member
    Been on the water with him a number of times, as have many of my friends and never had a bad experience. We've crushed them and other times done just okay. Remember it's fishing, no guarantees.... Again I have never had a bad experience, never felt like he was pushing his baits on anyone, though they do work. Sorry you had a bad experience, I can't say that I have, nor anyone else I know that has been up to fish with him. Again sorry you had a bad experience man that sucks, but I have only fished with Will and it's always great.

3. Member
    Sucks to hear that. Just to clarify what river did you guys fish? The 1000 islands or the Susquehanna?
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Banned
    He was honest, but wrong. If they wanted to fish with him the next day they should have booked it. Total jackass move on the guides part if that's what happened, imo

5. Member
    St. Lawrence in Hogansburg, NY

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzebackfive View Post
    He was honest, but wrong. If they wanted to fish with him the next day they should have booked it. Total jackass move on the guides part if that's what happened, imo
    That is exactly what happend. We booked our deal in January. Even firmed up boat assingments before we arrived, all was set, total bait and switch. I get tough conditions and that things change, Virginia is a constant grind when you fish here.

7. Member
    We fished with Will and he never pushed his baits on us. They were available for us to use, if we wanted, but we packed our own stuff and wanted to catch fish how we wanted to catch fish. Spinnerbait bite was totally on, as was the Ned rig. Landed a few on various other baits, swimbait, Biffle bug too. In the 2 1/2 days we, the three of us, caught around 300 fish. The last day, which was our half day you speak of, we caught around 75 in less than 3 hours. Weather had changed dramatically from the previous two days. That river system is a pretty neat place to go, we were happy to be able to get out, spend time together and get our arms yanked off for a couple days. Oh, and we did book that half day in advance. Just an fyi.

8. Member
    Well to add to it, fishing for bass in Franklin county is off limits until June 15th. Unless he’s Akwasane, he isn’t supposed to guide out of season so that’s one more thing to add to it as well haha. If he is an Akwasane, then he’s exempt from state laws if they stay in tribal land. That said, sounds like he definitely screwed you guys over. The other party said they booked in advance so he must’ve had his dates wrong and was coming up with an excuse. it’s weird there wasn’t good communication between boats especially if it was the same guide service.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 05-21-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v

9. Member
    No communication at all between the boats.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbassman View Post
    That is exactly what happend. We booked our deal in January. Even firmed up boat assingments before we arrived, all was set, total bait and switch. I get tough conditions and that things change, Virginia is a constant grind when you fish here.
    Not blaming you guys at all, you booked, we booked. He screwed us, bottom line. We got a half day with someone who had no business guiding. You'd be bent if it happened to you and you wasted your money!

11. Member
    If it was the same guide service then the lack of communication is unnaceptable. If it was just other guides businesses around then it’s common for them not to talk details until they get to the ramp.
    1995 Ranger 481v

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    If it was the same guide service then the lack of communication is unnaceptable. If it was just other guides businesses around then it’s common for them not to talk details until they get to the ramp.
    It was all the same guide service.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    ashame to hear this have never personally fished with Will but have never heard anything bad at all about him, but it only takes once. I do know he can put you on fish, and fishing the reservation he can get you fishing when other guides cant . His baits do work well, his spirit shad is a killer drop shot goby immitator. However this time of year you can pretty much pick your poision how to catch them. Very sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe Travis will be on the weigh in on his buddy Will.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    ashame to hear this have never personally fished with Will but have never heard anything bad at all about him, but it only takes once. I do know he can put you on fish, and fishing the reservation he can get you fishing when other guides cant . His baits do work well, his spirit shad is a killer drop shot goby immitator. However this time of year you can pretty much pick your poision how to catch them. Very sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe Travis will be on the weigh in on his buddy Will.
    I looked into this trip for quite sometime before I booked it. Did all my research and seemed like it would be awesome, not so in my experience. Just a shame really, would never do it again.

15. Member
    Isnt the season closed

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Isnt the season closed
    that was my first thought. But if he’s an Akwasane, they operate as a sovereign state and can fish the waters within reservation limits. Otherwise yes all the guide trips he’s doing is illegal out of season bass haha
    1995 Ranger 481v

17. Banned
    I know for a fact that Will told you he would GIVE you another trip. I personally have fished with Garry on the river, and caught 4 to 5 pound smallies all day. Will never tries pushing his baits on anyone, most of the time he doesn't even mention them unless you bring it up. And knowing Garry I am sure he told you what to throw and where to throw it ,,,,, but you probably think you know everything and didn't listen. And if you had a problem with the day, why didn't you speak up and say something then ?
    Last edited by Tom S.; 05-22-2019 at 10:31 PM. Reason: I calmed down.

18. Member
    Can't find the popcorn imoge dang it!

19. Member

20. Member
    Rut Row, chit just got real!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast