Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

2. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    KellyJoe, quick... Dig out the Good/Bad/Ugly/Cat gif!
    Who controls John Gill?

3. Member
    Reminds me of a certain incident on a certain river that might run close to the capital.
    Last edited by BP in ME; 05-22-2019 at 10:53 PM.

Bad thing about the good ole innernet- anybody can read it, and theres 2 sides to every story. Seems like somebody with pesky facts show up and ruin a good rant.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    I know for a fact that Will told you he would GIVE you another trip. I personally have fished with Garry on the river, and caught 4 to 5 pound smallies all day. Will never tries pushing his baits on anyone, most of the time he doesn't even mention them unless you bring it up. And knowing Garry I am sure he told you what to throw and where to throw it ,,,,, but you probably think you know everything and didn't listen. And if you had a problem with the day, why didn't you speak up and say something then ?
    Offering to Give another trip means there was issues. No side in this, but guides don’t offer free trips for the fun of it.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Offering to Give another trip means there was issues. No side in this, but guides don’t offer free trips for the fun of it.
    does "another trip" include airfare and hotel? I'd be steamed if I was going with one guy and hours before got it changed up on me, and wasnt impressed with the guy. Perception is reality when it comes to customers. OP prolly wasnt happy so it was gonna be an uphill battle for gary.

But man, planning vacation days, taking the time off, making the logistics happen. Then getting fired up about fishing with a guy who youve heard nothing but good about. Then to hear youre not fishing a half day with him cuz his previous guest/reservation wants to extend...well id be salty as soon as he finished telling me that. I plan to eventually take a guided trip with Matt Allen just as a bucket list type thing...if I was in this guys shoes and was told the same and only got matt for a half day. I wouldnt be a matt allen fan after that, so I can see where the OP is coming from.

Its unprofessional at best, and shady at worst (I dont think its shady based on other comments).

I was actually able to get some footage of the interaction between OP and the guide.....

Last edited by dmc575; 05-22-2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Changed link to the "footage"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    I know for a fact that Will told you he would GIVE you another trip. I personally have fished with Garry on the river, and caught 4 to 5 pound smallies all day. Will never tries pushing his baits on anyone, most of the time he doesn't even mention them unless you bring it up. And knowing Garry I am sure he told you what to throw and where to throw it ,,,,, but you probably think you know everything and didn't listen. And if you had a problem with the day, why didn't you speak up and say something then ?
    Well Mr. Tom now you having me wondering since you apparently know a lot more of the situation then the rest of us, why did you only offer the one fact that Will offered to try and make up for his screw up? Why are you not explaining why you think Mohawk Trails Guide Service did the right thing (if they did)?
    Telling everyone your opinion of how you think Jdbassman thinks he knows everything and didn't listen just makes me think that there is even more shady business going on then I MIGHT have thought prior to your post.
    Just my 2cents worth.

8. Member
    Making things right is during the deal, not after it is closed

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    does "another trip" include airfare and hotel? I'd be steamed if I was going with one guy and hours before got it changed up on me, and wasnt impressed with the guy. Perception is reality when it comes to customers. OP prolly wasnt happy so it was gonna be an uphill battle for gary.

But man, planning vacation days, taking the time off, making the logistics happen. Then getting fired up about fishing with a guy who youve heard nothing but good about. Then to hear youre not fishing a half day with him cuz his previous guest/reservation wants to extend...well id be salty as soon as he finished telling me that. I plan to eventually take a guided trip with Matt Allen just as a bucket list type thing...if I was in this guys shoes and was told the same and only got matt for a half day. I wouldnt be a matt allen fan after that, so I can see where the OP is coming from.

Its unprofessional at best, and shady at worst (I dont think its shady based on other comments).

I was actually able to get some footage of the interaction between OP and the guide.....

It's times like these I really appreciate and miss Seinfeld even more! That little clip may be the best thing that comes out of this thread!

I'm glad Tom edited his original reply. Not only would've he been banned, it would've ended the possibility for this to become very entertaining! Being a guide/charter captain is a very difficult predicament/job. You can never make everybody happy. Many people have outlandish expectations when hiring a guide. Maybe jdbassman isn't a very skilled angler or maybe he is extremely skilled and felt he was let down. So many variables and we are not privy to all the factual info. IN MY OPINION, jds post and accusations have some flaws in them. Tom's reply has/had some questionable versions as well. I'm looking forward to this story as it unfolds and hope it doesn't turn into a dumpster fire. I don't know anything about Mohawk guide service. However, quite a few members here vouch for the owner and his business. If I was a guide and had a sour client who was inept, this is the song I would play on the way back to the ramp, lol

Last edited by castforcash; 05-23-2019 at 12:47 AM.

10. Member
    I'd be kinda chapped too if I made all those arrangements to find out last minute I'll be going with a different guide. Why not tell the people who wanted to extend their trip you'd call another guide up for them tomorrow and keep your already scheduled trip? Maybe he thought Gary could put you on the fish just as well as he could and didn't think anything about it? I do know that some people have unrealistic expectations when hiring a guide. Some people just don't realize how bad of a fisherman they are and then blame the guide. I've fished side by side with clients and had a limit to their 0 and had to spend the rest of the day teaching them how to fish so they could catch a few. The ones that drive me nuts the most are the people who refuse to fish where I throw the marker bouy and then wonder why they aren't catching anything or refuse to switch baits when I'm wearing them out and they aren't getting any bites. In my opinion the guide should have kept his trip with you and scheduled a different boat for the people who wanted to extend their trip, but then again I don't think he would have done what he did to you if he thought you'd have anything but an equal or better experience with Gary. Hope you get some satisfaction because I know most guides work their tails off to put clients on fish and the last thing they want is a bad experience for clients.

11. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbassman View Post
    Booked a trip with Mohawk Guide Services (St Lawrence River,Mohawk Indian Reservation NY) back in January to fish May 15th. Speak with the owner Will two weeks before we arrive to ensure everything is set and where to meet, time, etc. He states yes everything is good your all set. Day before trip I contact him to find where we are meeting and what baits to bring, he states bring anything "you can throw the tackle box at em", ok I pack light tubes, neds, swimbaits. Requested to have my Dad and I fish with him and my buddy to fish with a world class Susquehana guide that is on-site for a bit, no problem Will states you're all set. Get to the meeting spot at 7:45 AM, contact Will, we are here, states we got a problem, customer's from yesterday want to stay and fish with me for another half day I need to get another boat here so you guys can fish. We get paired up with an absolute clueless guy (Garry) that had no business being labeled a guide. Total bait and switch and terrible first half of the day, caught maybe 8 fish and he tells the owner Will that we had a good morning and caught 30. We are talking about a river loaded with fish this time of year when other guides are catching 100 fish a day or more. There was a very specific bite going on that was not relayed to anyone else in the guided party, that boat catches roughly 150 fish while the others barely eek out 20 for the day. The last half of the day my Dad and I go with Will, which was a better experience, but still not what was described to us, it was more of a push for his bait company he owns, Gajo Baits. Buyer beware when dealing with this outfit, when it's on you could throw a hotdog out and catch them, but if you can't catch them there is no adjustment made by the guides to switch it up and get creative. Overall bad experience and would hate to see anyone else go through this. By the way I reached out to the owner to propose a way to make it right before I wrote this. You've been warned!!
    Absolute wrong way to handle this situation. This guy makes his living guiding. If you've tried it, it's not easy. It's a lot of work. So if you didn't handle this the day of, and even if you did, don't come on here and tell your story of woh. I've had bad guide trips. But respect the guy's business for chrissakes.

Smallmouthcrush just posted a bunch of vids of a trip with this same guide and they crushed 'em.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by After5 View Post
    Can't find the popcorn imoge dang it!
    ... Here ya go... And one for me... Dan

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Absolute wrong way to handle this situation. This guy makes his living guiding. If you've tried it, it's not easy. It's a lot of work. So if you didn't handle this the day of, and even if you did, don't come on here and tell your story of woh. I've had bad guide trips. But respect the guy's business for chrissakes.

Smallmouthcrush just posted a bunch of vids of a trip with this same guide and they crushed 'em.
    Lol, really. I guess when you get bad service at a restaurant you are not supposed to leave a review at Yelp? It's a business!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    that was my first thought. But if he’s an Akwasane, they operate as a sovereign state and can fish the waters within reservation limits. Otherwise yes all the guide trips he’s doing is illegal out of season bass haha
    Had zero desire to go back again next year after the experience I had this year. You talk about Garry like he is some great stick, he has as much business guiding as I do building rocket ships! I proposed a solution to Will asked for a response got none and we are here now. I dont take lightly to getting screwed out of my hard earned money. Trust me Tom, you'd have been just as upset had you spent the first part of the day with us. My poor buddy had to fish the rest of the day with him. With 2 hours left he was just sitting down dejected as Garry kept his boat on some rediculous spot where they were not catching them. What's worse was when Will contacted Garry about doing lunch, he asked him how many had been put in the boat, Garry told him 30, we all looked at each other like we caught maybe 8 fish! All a sham!. When the day was over some other folks in the rest of the party asked how we liked fishing with Garry and started laughing saying he was a joke. I am putting facts on here so people do not spend there hard earned money on someone you cannot trust.

If I book a guide, I want the guide. I'm the customer and I will for go only in the case of sickness or emergency not because somebody else wanted him.

16. Member
    If I book a certain guide months ahead of time I expect to have that guide on my trip unless he is not available for some major reason. Guiding a previous client does not fall into a major reason.

To offer another trip is a good gesture but it is much more complicated than that with time off work, vacation and travel costs. I do not blame the OP for being upset if it did indeed go down as he posted.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post

Seeing as we're not really hearing both sides of this it's time to close the thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12