Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer vibration at 72mph

Only at 72 mph,I just put on 2 new Carlisle hd on rear of tamden,the front 2 are worn a little but they are non hd

Quote Originally Posted by horntoad View Post
    Only at 72 mph,I just put on 2 new Carlisle hd on rear of tamden,the front 2 are worn a little but they are non hd
    I had the problem at 70 road force balancing cured it if the tires are not already cupped.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

You do realize that ST tires are only rated for 65 mph!

Anything above that, you have just became a "Test Pilot"...

4. Member
    My Carlisle HD are “M” rated 87mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by XS-Skeet View Post
    You do realize that ST tires are only rated for 65 mph!

Anything above that, you have just became a "Test Pilot"...

5. Member
    Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R14 tires, probably the most common size tire for most small boat trailers, have a speed rating of 87 MPH. That is directly from the Goodyear website.

There are a few other ST tires available that have higher than 65 MPH speed ratings as well.

6. Banned
    If only at one speed it is caused by balance.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin365 View Post
    My Carlisle HD are “M” rated 87mph.
    “M” is rated to 81mph
    “N” is rated to 87mph

OP did not state if tires were 14" or 15" or load range C or D?

My last set of tires were Carlisle 15" LRD that I understood to be speed rated to 99mph. I no longer have them but clearly remember it showing 99mph on the sidewall. It finally came apart one morning at just under 80 when I was trying to get to the lake before sunrise. 2 years old. Switched to Endurance....hope they're better than any other Goodyear tire I've ever owned.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    I'd worry about more than vibration at that speed.

Tire.jpg

10. Member
    Change out the front two and it will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by dsgb View Post
    Change out the front two and it will go away.
    Agreed! One or both of the other two are seperated or out of balance. You did have your new tires balanced? Right?
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

12. Member
    Vibration is typically caused from imbalance, runout (radial or lateral) or force variation. Tire vibrations are usually mile per hour constant. They typically appear at 13 to 15 hertz. When did you first notice the vibration? Was it after the new tires were installed? I would start by checking the old tires for balance while judging the tire/wheel assembly for out of roundness or crookedness. Examination should tell you about tire or wheel runout, irregular wear or mechanical wear, or tire separation. If nothing shows up it might be beneficial to have the the force variation (road force) measured. We do not usually find it necessary to test road force on trailer tires. Trailer tires and wheels do not have or need the uniformity standards necessary for an automobile. Main thing is to make sure you don't have a separation developing before it delaminates and tears a fender up.

Quote Originally Posted by knopf View Post
    Vibration is typically caused from imbalance, runout (radial or lateral) or force variation. Tire vibrations are usually mile per hour constant. They typically appear at 13 to 15 hertz.
    Very good post - Thank you.
    When you say they normally appear at 13 to 15 cycles per second, is that the speed of rotation or frequency of the vibration?
    i.e. if it is speed of rotation, it would imply that we can calculate the mph at which it occurs, but you said it is mph interdependent. Just trying to understand.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

14. Member
    I just bought a Yukon ,my ball height is higher than my Chevy truck,I'm go in to have tires rebalance and find a bigger drop on hitch,I'll let u know

15. Member
    Is it a ranger trailer? I have 2 buddies both with Ranger 621's with torsion axle trailers. One buddy just got both axles replaced and the other is waiting on his axles to get his replaced.

16. Member
    Yes a 2012 z520 boat

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by horntoad View Post
    Yes a 2012 z520 boat
    One buddys trailer had this same issue. Was fine up until around 70mph then starts vibrating, and it gets pretty bad. Did it from day one when he bought it new. Multiple new sets of tires on it. He is replacing both axles now. The other buddy just put on 4 new Endurance tires because his other tires were wearing uneven. One of his endurance tires are already down to the tread mark while the other tires are fine. Both cases the axle place says the torsion is worn out/ out of whack.

18. Member
    I hope not a bad axle

19. Member
    Changed ball height,vibration at 65mph now. I think I have a broken belt in one tire, inside tread on one tire just bald in a 6 inch section,

I know it’s not the same but I just replaced a set of Michelins on my truck that had plenty of miles left in them. It sounded just like bad tires and they were cupped so I replaced them. The new tires didn’t fix the noise. Turned out to be a new wheel bearing with only 7000 miles that went Chinese was the source of the noise.

Check your bearings.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast