Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Ford cutting 7000 jobs

Looks iike it is Ford's turn to cut jobs. It was rumored when GM did it's cuts last year. Hoping the best for all involved.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/busin...ffs/index.html

2. Member
    Hate to see anyone lose their job. Hope a lot of them can retire or get a good buyout.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    1500 white collar workers in North America, 500 in the US and most will probably get a good buyout. White collar workers, I think are usually better off when they get let go compared to the blue collar workers.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    1500 white collar workers in North America, 500 in the US and most will probably get a good buyout. White collar workers, I think are usually better off when they get let go compared to the blue collar workers.
    I know a lot of our white collar employees got near 6 figure severances and some got 6 figures when General Mills closed our plant. Pretty sweet deal. Most of those guys had no trouble finding comparable jobs. The blue collar guys like myself got a fraction of what they got, and can’t replace a job like we had without going back to school.

Tough situation for all though. Wish them all luck. Like losing family for a lot of these guys.

A lot of companies are figuring out they are "middle management heavy"...and I read somewhere that this is the employment sector being hit hardest at the moment by technology...though the article did not specify how or why that it is. I would assume that efficiencies in information technology but only because that is what happening at my wife's work. There is no need for some of the jobs that did data tracking, organization, management anymore because there are faster and easier ways for companies to do that with technology - but that is just a guess.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    - but that is just a guess.
    And that is what makes this site the cutting edge leader on info worldwide. And then along comes MAGA and survival instincts take over as the worms crawl out of the can. It's complicated but Ford probably did need to do some restructuring. Labor gets the first axe and we go from there. A lot of this IMO is an indirect result of allowing foreign auto manufacturers set up shop here back in the 80's. Competetion breeds efficiency and Ford will be fine. The misplaced workers will need to pursue their destiny or just let it happen around them. Anyone ever watch Shark Tank ?
    GETFISHED !!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delee36 View Post
    A lot of companies are figuring out they are "middle management heavy"
    One reason why income inequality is increasing. Any more there are more lower paying jobs and a few extremely well paying and not as much in the middle as there used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Labor gets the first axe and we go from there.
    seems it is white collar getting the Axe first in this instance.

And that is what makes this site the cutting edge leader on info worldwide.
    Right, so only fully verified information. How many sources should I cite with each comment? Are we using MLA format?
    No opinions, no information from observation or experience, got it.

but then....
    A lot of this IMO

I said I was guessing because of what I have read and what I see happening in my wifes company...at least I admitted I was just guessing - right? Give a guy some credit. LOL!
    I could have called it out as fact and defended my guess like a pissed off pit viper.

(though both my wifes company and my cousin's company have both "restructured" management roles and directly cited that things like handheld inventory controls, direct path information tech, cloud services, and other info tech has reduced or eliminated the need for certain roles in the company. IE - my wifes company just fully eliminated the Store Operations roles because there is no need for it anymore. Inventories, automated order systems, and a host of other things that role did are all done with tech these days. I would assume if tech is influencing these two companies, it stands to reason it would also influence others...like Ford...who must have a mind boggling amount of information to manage across its system...but like I said, just an observation, just a guess. I would be interested to see some more detailed information from Ford other than the standard crappy press release level information companies always provide in these instances.)

10. Member
    When GM cut jobs all I heard was the btch'n and screaming from ford fanboys, now they seem pretty quiet....

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    One reason why income inequality is increasing. Any more there are more lower paying jobs and a few extremely well paying and not as much in the middle as there used to be.
    Must be a Ohio thing in Oklahoma there is lots of jobs open starting with good pay and great benefits. With the job market right now if you don't have a job, a job with good pay or a job with good benefits it's because you don't want to put out the effort to go get it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Must be a Ohio thing in Oklahoma there is lots of jobs open starting with good pay and great benefits. With the job market right now if you don't have a job, a job with good pay or a job with good benefits it's because you don't want to put out the effort to go get it.
    Been that way for several years here in Ky, even with the coal industry decline. If you don’t have a job, it’s because you don’t want to work.

13. Member
    Of course White Vs Blue will always be in the Management advantage,wouldn’t it?
    Red Sox in 6!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Good pay is questionable right now though unless you have trade or some type of management. For our area, about $50,000 a year is about the minimum for what I would call a good to decent paying job. $15-$17 seems to be the going rate around here for jobs. Few others out there, but they’re hard to get. Guess it depends what’s considered a good job.

I’d be curious to what kind of income it takes to buy a house and drive a decent vehicle, as well as save for retirement in different areas of the country. I’m thinking about relocating here in the future and would be curious as to what kind of income it takes to live a decent lifestyle.

15. Member
    White collar apparently is getting the first axe. Even at that is a reduction in labor expense. Tech has surpassed the need for many function performed by humans so evolution is happening as we speak. Delee 36 I wasn't intending to diss your comment. It was pretty observant on the whole. As for my comments I tried not to pass them off as facts, hence the use of IMO.

No matter , things are changin and where she stops , nobody knows
    GETFISHED !!!

16. Member
    I think there are plenty of jobs available in my general area. Somehow I got a feeling that most are not what I'd call good paying jobs. Methinks 10-13 per hour. That wage would take two earners working their fingers to the bone just to survive. Nothing left over for savings, vacation or retirement. There may be other better paying jobs around here but I'm not real informed about it.
    GETFISHED !!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Of course White Vs Blue will always be in the Management advantage,wouldn’t it?
    The whole advantage vs disadvantage mindset is counter productive. Neither is a perfect world. Both should realize neither would have a career without the other and strive to take pride in their roles. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have lost their positions. Been there and done that! It is NO FUN! Life will go on and hopefully their communities help absorb some of the sting.

18. Member
    Company I work for cut a bundle of middle sorta management guys a couple years ago. Granted if the company was being operated like the team I was on when it happened it was totally justified. We had 4 managers over 8 employees. We used to crack up that they would eventually have 8 managers to 8 employees.

19. Member
    I think there are plenty of jobs available in my general area. Somehow I got a feeling that most are not what I'd call good paying jobs. Methinks 10-13 per hour. That wage would take two earners working their fingers to the bone just to survive. Nothing left over for savings, vacation or retirement. There may be other better paying jobs around here but I'm not real informed about it.
    https://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/...hville-TN.aspx

A logistics clerk (logistics is a HUGE field in our area) earns about 46K a year or 23.00 an hour. This position prefers a HS diploma. First level managers earn over 100K a year. Their managers are close to 150K a year. Choices...do you want the commute, do you take the time to learn the required skills and keep them updated, are you willing to relocate travel with the company needs? That list is ever changing. Delee is correct on ever changing technology changing most every role in the organization. How many guys our age will say "I have a degree" yet they graduated in 1970 something and have not done anything to further their skill sets that the organization they work for hasn't provided? IE they won't invest in their self.

Finding QUALIFIED workers in this area, and most areas where I travel is the challenge. As for wage...consumers drive the train. Most organizations today spend a fortune keeping their pulse on society and their habits. Marketing Majors are in huge demand.

20. Banned
    Company I work for recently raised starting pay, lowered insurance costs to employees, raised perdiem, and changed the 401k to 15% dollar for dollar match. And still can't hire enough people. The Ford people won't have a problem finding work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast