Question What would you do?

I have a 2017 Evinrude G2 250 engine which I purchased with a boat from a Ranger/Evinrude pro staffer in October 2018, with only around 70 hours on it. The engine has had multiple issues and proven to be unreliable due to those issues. The first occurred shortly after purchasing on the second launch day of a tournament in late October. The code for low oil came on, even though full, and put the engine in safe mode the rest of the day. That was shown to be actually a faulty fuel sensor and had to be reprogrammed. The second incident was also during a tournament at hour 99 on the engine with a faulty fuel separator filter spraying about 30 gallons of gas under the cowling while I limped back to the ramp. There was a service bulletin I found out later saying that the filters may have been overtightened at the factory causing them to fail. While at the dealer, they found out it had been replaced before in August by the former owner at a Costa tournament by a factory team under the service bulletin. It hadn’t failed at that time. 35 hours later, just about a week ago, the filter failed again, again spewing about 30 gallons of gas while I made it in at a rough idle a few miles from the ramp. I took it in last Monday and they replaced it with the newest updated part, introduced in February 2019. I ran it the next day about 30 minutes and it was running with no apparent problems. Yesterday however, I took off from the launch ramp at my tournament and the engine died in about 8 minutes across and in the middle of the lake I was leaving. The error codes this time indicated ignition coil #5 was loose and there was a short in the system. Excess engine knocking was also a message on my Icon display. It would not restart. I managed to use the trolling motor with a good tailwind to get back to the ramp.
    I took it in today, vented to my dealer my frustration, which he graciously accepted. He called me this afternoon and told me that cylinders 1 and 2 had no compression. He is planning on asking BRP for a completely new upper half of the engine, basically a new powerhead and components and the engine would then have zero hours on it and 9 years left on the warranty. We both felt that the 2 episodes with the heavy fuel spill inside of the cowling could have damaged some of the components and that the fuel leak caused those cylinders to run lean and caused their failure.
    The motor currently has 135 hours on it.
    Does this sound like a reasonable fix for it or should I demand a total replacement?
    Thanks for your input. I have also posted this on the Evinrude/Johnson site.

2. Member
    My brother in law has a 2017 G2 250 and he has had the fuel water filter issue and the low oil issue that you had. He also had the complete top end replaced because of a no compression. The new power head runs alot better since it was put on and he has not had a problem with it since. He also runs 91 octane with no ethonol and has not had an issue with the fuel water filter leaking at all.

I would definetly push for a complete top end replacement.

3. Member
    I would think a new power head would be the norm for a blown motor. If it continues to give you problems after that then I would start the total replacement stuff

4. Member
    Sorry to hear you’ve had so many troubles with your motor. I’m in the opposite situation with my Triton/Evinrude. Mine is a 2018 and has about half the hours as yours but so far has been great..knock on wood. It’s the boat and trailer that seem to be nothing but issue after issue. I would say though a full powerhead replacement sounds reasonable and if you have more issues then maybe see about the full replacement

5. Member
    I don't think they will give you a new motor but a new powerhead is essentially a new motor other than the lower unit. Sorry to hear your issues and Good Luck.

6. Member
    What dealership did your brother in law use in Florida for his replacement?

7. Member
    Update to my engine issues. BRP has agreed to furnish me with a fully dressed new powerhead. They listened to what I had to say and all the issues I had so far, with also the help of the Evinrude pro staffer I purchased it from originally. The part was shipped today and my dealer should have it installed next week. My thanks to their management and warranty team!

8. Member
    Kudos to Todd Goade, an Evinrude and Ranger pro staffer who helped with the BRP management and warranty team to take care of me.

9. Member
    That’s great, kudos to Evinrude.

10. Member
    Good on Evinrude for stepping up and making it right. Suzuki should read this thread and take care of the other guy on here that has had a nightmare of an engine with their badge on it.

Thats the good thing about brp- they wont try to nickle and dime a repair. Most other companies would send you a bare powerhead and see if that fixes it while the warranty ticks away.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Member
    Glad they did the right thing. Let us know how the new power head works out.

13. Banned
    ... Good to hear they took care of you... Dan