rduzac

2018 Skeeter FX20, 250 Yamaha 4 Stroke, Atlas Jack Plate Question

I bought the boat 1 year used. I have no paper work on the Jack Plate Setup.

First, How do I zero the gauge on the Jack Plate adjustment at the console.
    My old boat was manual Jack Plate and I did it with a string and level out to the center of the prop. about 3" 1/4" down.

Second, What is a good safe height to set it to. Good hole shot, good top speed, stable ride.
    How many numbers up from all the way down.

I've played a little but have only had it out a few times and have gone up 4 count on the gauge.
    Didn't notice much difference in handling or speed which surprised me.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rene

The numbers on the gauge really don't mean much without context. What you really need to know, is the prop shaft height. You can only get that with an actual measurement. My ZX225 runs best around 2.5" below the pad. You could center the jackplate at that measurement, but it's not really necessary. I would just make sure to have a little more room above and below the ideal height. That way you can make adjustments according to load/conditions changes.

To find the ideal prop shaft height, I start with the jackplate all the way down. I don't raise the jackplate until I get to WOT and full trim. Then, I raise the jackplate slowly while watching the mph/rpms. When you see the rpms and mph go up, you're in the sweet spot. When the mph goes down and rpms go up, then you went to high. Just remember the gauge indication when these two events happened. Also, remember that the "ideal" setting will change slightly as the conditions change.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

3. rduzac
    Thanks, that sounds like a good way to handle it.
    I think I will measure it the old way just to get an idea of what the number is around 3 inches.

Then I will follow what you have described when I'm on the water and see how close it comes to the 3" I measured.
    Thanks,
    Rene

At 10 on the atlas gauge I'm at 2.25" PTP. Mine runs best between 10 and 12. With a heavy load I'll run it at 14.
    2018 Skeeter FX21 LE Ox Blood

5. rduzac
    jdlefty3, thanks. I was out Saturday trounament load, two people. and I had it up to 12 and it ran just fine. I was very surprised.
    Next time out I will bump it up a couple more notches. Since I'm still new to the boat I'm still learning the boat.
    I've also learned that I have to learn how to come off plane in the Skeeter compared to my old Viper.

Thanks,
    Rene

Yeah, Skeeters like to porpoise. Trimming down as you let off the throttle will tame the porpoising. Just like all bass boats, there is a point where the wake tries to swamp the back end. Just don't chop the throttle to idle when you reach that point, and the deck will stay dry.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225