How to figure amount of fiberglass needed ?

Is there a formula? Example - by square feet or inches?
    For the resin also.

2. Member
    Kind of lacking a bunch of info. But I can tell you this, one gallon of resin will cover 50" x 36" of 1,5 oz mat. what else are you using?
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

3. Member
    A good rule of thumb, the weight of the resin should equal the weight of the glass. 50 / 50. A piece of Peel-ply laid over mat will allow using a roller to work the resin in.

4. Member
    Scott S. - are you wanting the measurements? Stringers are approximately 6" high x 11' long x 3/4" wide. Transom measures 21" tall (at drain plug) x 15" tall (at the sides) x 1.25" thick (measured at drain plug opening) x ..... Dang it, gotta get back to you on that one.
    ALL the wood for the transom and stringers is gone and or mush.
    Rojoguio -What is peel-ply ?
    There are also a few other pieces of plywood to replace - on both port and starboard side - for batteries, and the floor.
    I'd like to also add some storage lockers. Turn the front livewell into a cooler. Cut the front wall of the rod locker, to allow longer rods .

5. Member
    Transom is approximately 76" wide.
    As for what else I'm using? No clue. I've never done this before.
    The boat - '87 Skeeter Strada F 120.

6. Member
    Screw the peal ply bullshit, get a 3/8" 3" roller, they work the best when getting into the tight spots around the stringers and transom. you need mat, no brainer, what are you planning on using on top of the mat? You will need some 1708 or the cheaper woven roving. You will need something to set the wood in. when building a new boat i used cab-a-cill to set the wood with. it's a powder mixed with resin to make a putty, yes you add mekp to kick it off. Strings and transom wood should have a radius on all corners/edges so the glass will wrap them properly. When setting the wood add plenty of putty under them to squish out and use your finger them put a radius in while cleaning up the extra that comes out. You will need at least 10 gallons of resin. Sticky stuff sales has it on ebay, get a slow kick MEKP, it will give you time to work the material. You will want to go 6-8" on each side of your stringers and the same on the transom wood. Stringer are 6" high,time 2 is 12" add another 12 to 16" to that, so 2' wide x 11-12' long for the stringers, Material is 50" wide, just split it down the middle. 5 yards of 1.5 oz mat and 5 yards of what ever thicker stitched material you plan on using over the mat. i would use two layers of the stitched material on the transom, it will help stiffen it up when bolting the motor down. I would lay the mat and while it's still wet lay the knitted material, it will save a little resin, and you won't have to come back and scuff up the mat to laminate on it. Peal ply, freaking rookies.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

7. Member
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

8. Member
    I'm contemplating adding a jack plate, would I need additional laters, or is what you suggested sufficient? As for what material on top of the mat? Whatever is suggested, I've never done this before.
    I'll look at the link provided, thank you.

9. Member
    A gallon of resin weights 9.2 pounds, weigh your fabric after cutting patterns out and that will give you an idea of how much resin to wet out with. I use metal rollers to make very light but strong layups. You can't use small metal rollers directly on matting without it rolling up on the roller. More resin to glass makes a heavier / weaker job.

10. Member
    Thank you.

11. Member
    If you can get/use stitch mat, IE mat stitched to woven roving you do 2 lay ups at once ! What I did, because it is thicker than mat, and or roving is cut it to size, then wet out what you need to repair, change etc. I used poly ethylene plastic to wet out the stitch mat on the side to make contact with the boat hull,part you are fixing, put it in place, then wet that out! If on a vertical surface use poly ethylene plastic to keep in place and put a prop of some sort to make sure the stitch mat does not fall off, before the resin kicks !

12. Member
    Thank you !

13. Member
    I keep a roll of 24" Stitch Mat myself. Great transom repair material. 24" usually works out with very little waste and you can roll the roving side very vigorously to wet it out.

14. Member
    1708, put this on last, on top of the mat. one layer on the stringers and two on the transom...https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...glass&_sacat=0

Fiberglass mat, 1.5 oz. i've built dozens of boats, one GALLON OF RESin will wet out 50" x 36", F the weight of the resin.

Roller, this size is the best. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-...YAAOSwHnFV6xWZ

10 gallons of resin, shop around for the best price https://www.fibreglast.com/product/I...lyester_Resins

Cab-o-cil, mix it with resin to form a putty, you want to set your wood with it. you should be able to cut your transom wood and drill the holes out for the motor, use those hole with some bolts to tighten the wood up to the glass of the transom.https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...iABEgISw_D_BwE

Acetone!!!!! maybe two gallons, one should do, walmart has it cheap. DO NOT USE IT TO SAVE YOUR WET OUT BRUSHES. you will spend more money on acetone cleaning a cheap ass brush.

Cheap ass brush, no bigger then three inches. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-pie...hes-61492.html

Acetone and the roller. Enough in a container to cover the roller, 1"-2", get something with a top to keep the tone from evaporating when you're done for the day. you will want to keep it handy to put the roller in when you're wetting out the glass, dip it in to clean it off once in a while, resin will build up on the shaft. when your done with it, take the screw out and put it in the bucket (?) I use a plastic coffee container. Put the roller and screw in it, clean off the handle and shaft that the roller goes on, clean out the screw hole and set it aside, if you don't have something deep enough to hold it all.

Rubber gloves, will save on acetone and keep your fingers from getting nasty.
    Last edited by Scott S.; 05-23-2019 at 11:09 PM.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

15. Member
    WOW! Thank you to both of you! I'm going to read all of this, a couple of times.

16. Member
    I'm starting to add stuff up. Correct me if i'm wrong -
    1708 $52 each x 3 = $156
    1.5oz mat (10 yards x 50" wide) 1 each = $50
    Resin, item 90-B, 5 gallon pails $309.95 x2 = $619.90
    Cab-o-cil 1 gallon bag? Will this be enough? $15
    ---------
    $840.90

I sure hope i'm wrong on this.
    Not counting acetone, mekp, rollers, gloves, tax, shipping, miscellaneous.

17. Member
    Yes, if you put the 1708 on top of the mat while its still wet it will save some resin.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

Hey skunked,
    West Marine has a FANTASTIC fiberglass repair manual that you can download. While the manual is steered towards their products, it contains A LOT of info that can be used with any fiberglass products. A definite need for anyone with a glass boat!!

19. Member
    Thank you!
    I'll check it out.