has anyone put a radio in a 189 trx?

I'm looking for radio ideas for my triton. I was considering putting a radio in the passenger side console. I am thinking just a Bluetooth radio that has fm capability too, and 2 speakers. I want a speaker on each side and I would rather have the radio head unit accessible from the drivers seat...

Does anyone have any pictures or ideas?

Thank you

2. Member
    I installed a stereo in my boat and would forego the holes and wiring and use a Bluetooth speaker controlled via your phone.
    2008 Tr 21X- 2018 250 Mercury Pro XS 4S
    2B595479

3. Member
    That’s what I have now... I’m tired of forgetting this or that and the cord not plugged in good and battery goes dead... plus it’s not very loud..

4. Member
    Pull the speedometer gauge and put in a round marine stereo in the hole. Or, in my case, pull the flasher unit and put it there.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

I put one in my TRX18, took out the speedo and put a round one in the hole to replace it. Has an antenna wire in the back that just lays under the dash. I put one speaker under each console, used the box speaker and drilled no holes in the boat at all.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

6. Member
    Went all in and did a chop job on a 179TRX (almost same) as I was tired of the bluetooth and wanted to tie everything into my Lowrance system..

I bought a very fine large hole-saw and put duct-tape over the area I was going to drill and cut to help prevent chipping. The passenger side had nothing, I just needed to calculate the speaker depth and ensure that it was mounted high enough it wouldn't hit the hull when mounted.

The driver side was a whole different story... I'll say I rolled the dice and got really effin lucky.. There is one cable tie holder that is secured to the inside of the fiberglass in about the spot where you would want to mount the speaker. You'll need to pop covers and take care of that - or do what I did and when I started to get to the very end where I could feel it starting to cut through; I slowed down and rocked the fine hole saw in a circle and gently trimmed that final amount. I was sweating it so bad but it wasn't that bad once I took it slow.

I went with these Marine speakers from JL Audio (Sound incredible!) - http://www.jlaudio.com/mx650-ccx-sg-...-systems-91939

You can pick the head unit you want - I wanted mine to integrate with my Lowrance system and knew the limitations and was fine with that.

20181111_141436.jpg20181111_141442.jpg20181111_171455.jpg20181111_171435.jpg
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Mercury 115 Pro XS CT (Hyrdraulic Steering/Hot Foot and Trim on Steer)
    Minn-Kota Ultrex 80 w/I-Pilot Link
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,
    Blue Water LED boat lighting

Looks good, wow your hotfoot is way to the centre
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

I would recommend a gauge size radio.

I have cheap, and better quality options...send me a message

1999 Triton TR-19 PDC
    1999 Mercury 175 EFI
    25P Tempest Prop-worked by Croxton
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MDI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Console
    Humminbird Helix 5
    Humminbird Mega 360
    Mega Live
    8in Vance MFG. jack plate
    2 10ft Minnkota Raptors

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Looks good, wow your hotfoot is way to the centre
    I wanted it further to the right but it bevels up there on the deck so I was stuck to some extent. It's not been cumbersome and is actually comfortable...
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Mercury 115 Pro XS CT (Hyrdraulic Steering/Hot Foot and Trim on Steer)
    Minn-Kota Ultrex 80 w/I-Pilot Link
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,
    Blue Water LED boat lighting

10. Member

USA

I had a stereo in my 82' and didn't use it that much. So on the O4' no stereo. If I want music I bring something portable.